• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton sprag question???

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Hey guys I am puzzled.I removed my rear driveshaft from my m818 because I am bobbing it.When I went to move forward with the front driveshaft it wouldnt move.It backed up fine,but would only move forward if I kept going from forward to reverse.You can hear the air shift when going from first to reverse.Truck drive fine in reverse ,but going forward it goes couple of feet then stops???Is there any sprag adjustment.Any help would be great.THANKS,JOHN.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Thats what I was wondering if its because there is no rear driveshaft.It puzzled me since it backs up fine.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I was just messing with the truck somemore,It moves forward if you just barely put it in first gear,if you pull it all the way in gear it doesnt move.Same with 2nd gear.

country

Supporting Vendor
John

rear driveshaft not needed

your sprag is not working in forward. Only in reverse. This is extremely common

check your poppet valve on the transmission and check the air cylinder on the transfer.

Of course we have good used transfer cases in stock if you need one :cry:

Dave

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
John:
Check out the poppet valve on the transmission cover. This valve is apparently not sealing right to properly shift your transfer. You will find deep grooves in the face material, which, when too deep, interferes with the sealing of the poppet. I have taken them apart, carefully removed the old sealing surface material, and two-part epoxy bonded new sealing surfaces on the poppets. I still have some of the tough belting material I used if you need some. It has worked fine in the truck now for over five years. I was determined not to pay the very high price for a new poppet valve when I can use ingenuity to fix it.
When you park the truck and shut down, air pressure still in the system continues to hold pressure on the poppet, causing the face material to keep taking a set and depressing. Of course most of us leave the transmission in neutral or a forward gear when shut down, which keeps pressure on the forward shift poppet. I make it a habit to put the gear shift in reverse to put pressure on the reverse poppet so it takes the load off the forward poppet, evening out the wear. For this reason, you will see one poppet with little depression and one with a deep depression. Ideally they should have a flat surface of an elastomer that will seal them.
Regards Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks