• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton sprag transfer case a power divider?

Unforgiven

Is the reasoning for a sprag transfer case in the 5 ton to act as a power divider, minimizing the chance of drivetrain windup on pavement?

The Hemtt Oshkosh transfer cases are front-air-select like the Deuce, correct? Is that because the Hemtt is primarily for off road & doesn't need a power divider?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The Hemtts have power dividers in both #2 and 3# axles, power dividers are a clutch that puts power to the other axle, in this case #2 p/d engages #1 axle when locked in and #3 p/d engages #4 axle, these are more on road then the older 5Ts, the sprag is a on demand front wheel drive

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
no, wish thay did, there are drop-in rockwells P/Ds that will fit the mil. axles, it is just a matter of finding them in a old truck junk yard

Unforgiven

Oh so the power dividers are integral in the differential units. I thought they were stand-alone driveline disconnects between the two tandems on the interaxle driveline.

Do the 800 series tandems bind up often?

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Not bind up, but scrub tires on tight turns, sone of us drop the inter-axle, others pull the axles and put a front hub cap in there place, also some deuce owners pull the axles and use front slect. hubs and special axles
If you went ,call me, 703-389=6705

Last edited:

Unforgiven

That makes sense. So really what the 800 series needs are 5 ton lockout hubs for the rear. BTW, thx for the #. I'm at work at the moment.

I'm trying to learn more about 5 ton trucks. The Deuce is great. But I'm finding out that it is limited as an "expedition" RV vehicle. I'm still going to finish building my Deuce up. But after that I might upgrade to 5 ton trucks. I'm getting my CDL so that I can go over a 26,000 GVWR vehicle.

I'm still curious why the 5 tons use a sprag transfer case. It seems that an air selector such as the Deuce would have been preferable for the same cost.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I guess the short answer is if it aint broke, dont fix it

The long answer is It seems that the 5t sprag had a lot less trouble then the deuce sprag, hence the air shift deuce tc, the deuce had linkage to put the deuce sprag in f/r, if out of adjustment, there was engagement problems. You can add a air switch like the deuce has in the 5t air supply line to the trans air valves, this mod will drop the tc into neutral

Last edited: