• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton spring pack ?

SuperJoe

have almost all the details worked out for my 16-20 conversion on my deuce. at first i was considering swapping the dog bones with that of a 5 ton for proper length. then i was told by multiple members that they are much larger. my brain thought how much larger could they be? well i went to the annual military show in phx this season and by god they are tremendously larger. only thing i have left with my designs are the spring packs. the factory springs will not reach the axle location at the determined distance apart needed.

so the questions.

does the 5 ton have a similar width spring as the deuce? 2.5 inches i believe

does the 5 ton have the similar floating springs sitting on top the axle in a carriage as the deuce?

does anyone have a 5 ton spring pack set they feel they would be better without the lower 5 springs?

thanks in advance fellas

Joe

SuperJoe

73m819 thank you. even with a 3 inch spring i still have almost 3/8s inch left in the pocket to slide around.

if it wont work i could have the local shop build me packs. or at least partials. whats the length on the first spring?

SuperJoe

RedbeardTheZombieHunter the plan is to remove about half the springs. i doubt i will ever have 2.5 tons in the back of a truck with a deck height of aprox 68 inches. i have another idea done for the ride quality. i just need something that i can use to oppose the axles in an off camber aproach. my first thoughts of a dual, dual triangulated 4 link would have worked well; but would lack the truck weight forcing one wheel down if the second were to rise, and was a deal breaker. i usually deal with 4x4s so articulation is a big deal. this design however doesnt need so much articulation as it dose keeping all the wheels on the ground. its a great design so i am trying to use as much of it as possible.

it is a great idea though and thanks for sharing. i am sure there will be something, probably simple, that i will miss and would like it pointed out. thanks for the response

SuperJoe

called a vendor and they said the spring pack is 5 feet long and 7 inches tall for a 5 ton. can anyone verify this please