• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton t case issues

farmerx

I recently test drove my "new" 5 ton and found that i had no front wheel drive. I should say it worked some times and not at others. My understanding is that there is 2 air lines from the transmission to the tcase and the control an actuator which must engage the front wheel drive. Can someone direct me to someone or tell me where i should look for problems. There is no noises and i changed all the fluids and there was no metal. It is odd that sometimes i have it sometimes i don't. Anyhelp would be great. thanks jeff

lacoda56

Robert,
I could also use the tech manual for the 5 ton transfer case. Mine won't shift into low range, and I wanted to check all the obvious stuff [linkage adjustment, etc.] before tearing into it. BTW, it's the sprag type if that makes a difference.
Thanks, Ron

Attachments

rdixiemiller

I will hunt down the manual tomorrow and send it to you. It may be a fairly large file, let me know if you have a dial up connection. If you do, I will see if I can't just send you the troubleshooting section.
Regards to all
Robert miller

rdixiemiller

OK. There is probably nothing wrong with your transfer case!
Assuming this is the M54 you are working on, your transfer case is the sprag type. The front drive shaft is slightly overdriving the rear shaft, and the sprags (overrunning clutch, like a starter drive) do not engage. If your rear tires start to slip, the front axle will engage. The air lines are hooked up to your transmission shift rail switch. This puts air to some cylinders that shift the sprag clutches from forward to reverse. In other words, you have a reverse sprag and a forward sprag clutch system.
The manual you need is TM 9-2320-211-35. This manual is number 027121 on the government manuals site. It is about 65 megs, so if you have a dial up connection, expect a 3-5 hr download. I can send it to you tomorrow if you want.
regards
Robert Miller

Attachments

lacoda56

Robert,
Yeah, I've got the old slow dial up and I know it'll take the better part of forever to download, but I'll just let it do its thing and see how it goes. Again, any help is really appreciated.
Ron

rdixiemiller

Your e-mail account will not accept a large att. Send me your snail mail address.
Regards
Robert

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks