• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Tools?

marsman

What type of tools do you carry on your truck with you on a daily bases?

What type of tools do you use for for recovery?

I would like to setup two tool sets, you just never know what is going to go wrong.

m816

Just put every thing you own in a trailer and drag it behind you. If you don't do some pretrip inspections and keep up on your maintainance, then you will eventually need your entire shop at some point, You should also add a med towbar Just in case. I hope this helps you ( sarcastic humor intended)

marsman

It does. I waned to expand my horizons past duct tape and the a BFH. The two bar is a great idea and I always carry a med kit and road flares. Thanks

axlr8

i have a milwaukee 18 volt impact that is amazing! i dont have a mv, but when i go somewhere, i bring it and a 3 foot pipe and breakerbar....helps like no other...

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the -10 TM for each vehicle, it has a list of what Basic Issue Items (BII) are intended to be kept with the truck.

It seems like, for most vehicles, it is typically a fire extinguisher, a first aid kit, the necessary tools to change a tire (bottle jack & lug wrench), an air hose with tire inflator attachment, and various screwdrivers and wrenches to do other tasks.

I like carrying a few blocks of wood for use with the bottle jack and a pair of vice grips.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
People always overlook axle nut (bearing) sockets. I think 319 has them in the classifieds.

Coldfusion21

To expand on this topic, I'm curious what tools everyone uses when working on their MV's. I have the basic sockets and wrenches, are there tools that are frequently used and somewhat specific to these trucks?

As far as tools to carry everyday I'm a fan of the basics: med kit, flares, tire changing tools. Keep in mind the torque needed on large wheels, a big piece of pipe or other "cheater bar" might be helpful. Also in any of my vehicles I carry a pair of gloves, always nice IMO.

bearboley

I carry hand tools up too 1 1/4'', screwdrivers,prybars, jacks, wood blocking, spreader bars, about a mile of chain it seems like, 6 snatch blocks, cutting torch, air hoses, 1/2 drive impact and sockets, 5 gals of water, 1 gal motor oil, grease gun, blaster, towbar, various pins and shackles. After all its a wrecker. In my duece not much of anything because I have a wrecker. Insert your own sinister laugh here.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I carry what I need to change a tire, perform basic adjustments, and get the truck off the road into a safe parking area. Basic hand tools including axle nut sockets.

Vintage iron

I bought a gear reduction lug wrench. It will take or brake any nut off. It took off my lug nuts off, that a 1" impact won't move. Just be careful that you are going the right direction with the lug nuts. I spray all hardware with PB Blaster before I try to loosen anything, put anti seize goop on every bolt before it goes back on. This will save you a lot of headaches next time you need to work on the truck. A good PM schedule will keep you off the side of the road too.

Vintage iron

TORQUE MULTIPLIER LUG WRENCH SEMI TRUCK RV BUS TRACTOR. this is the one I bought off ebay. It is blue and it comes with the sockets you will need to remove your lug nuts. It is worth every cent.

NSCoyote yes Gojo! I use Gojo to remove grease and oil off parts too. It works great with a stiff bristle brush!

powerhouseduece

I have a air/hydro China-freight jack, 3/4" impact, 1 1/2"/13/16" bud socket, air hose long enough to go around the truck, basic hand tools, small tin of antiseze, duct tape and zip ties for something that moves and shouldn't, wd40 and antiseze for something that should move and doesn't. I also take a spare fuel filter and a jug of Lucas fuel treatment. I have been too lazy to make my tow bar mount on my pipeline rack but I take that when ever possible.

The most important thing is to have a fully charged cell phone. When you are broke down on the side of the road it is the best tool. Call for help then you can browse SS and upcoming gl auctions :D

5tonpuller

I carry mostly basic tool box ( common sense stuff ) oil, water, belts. Being a wrecker there is most
of the stuff that cames with one. When going out of town there is a few more things I take
( some just in case simple stuff ).
Around town not much because of being close to home. ( aka 20-30 miles )

The army has a large budget and a even larger support group when the truck stop running.
Can we say the same? Well the support part is great here. There is a TON of people on the
sight that will come in the time of need.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I'm going farther than what I can afford a wrecker to tow me home (about $200-325) I carry enough tools and every spare part I have and food, water and truck fluids in the 105 behind me.

Oh, and NSCoyote I carry hand cleaner and rags.

;-)

axlr8

heres that all compressed into one:

Duct Tape
Hammer
Med. Kit
Flares
Impact
Fire Extinguisher
Jack
Lug Wrench
Ether
Lighter
3 of each Flat and Phillips Screwdrivers
Some Wood Blocks
Vise Grips
Small Set of Commonly Used Sockets
Medium Crescent Wrench
Chain or Tow Strap
PB Blaster
Never Seize Solution
Small bottle of Go Jo
Zip Ties
Extra Filters
Fluids
1 gallon water
Oil, Sea Foam, Coolant, Trans Fluid, T-Case Fluid

m816

Powerhousdeuce has the best tool kit in the world, A fully charged Cell phone. That is the one thing I forgot to list. Unless you have the misfortune of breaking down in the middle of a dead zone, that is the best thing you can have. Hel-, even if you can't use it, you could barter with it to get you home. It doesn't need the gojo either.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks