• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton tractor with a deuce bed? Good idea or not?

rockman

Guys, I am seeing lots of 5 ton tractors like this one in Ohio:

970 M52A2 5 Ton Tractor
Approximately 2,300 miles since government re-power, rebuilt 465 LTD 1A multi fuel motor, rebuilt transmission and transfer, new late style power steering system, new wiring harness, new radiator, new fuel tanks, new front fenders, three color camouflage cab cover, spring ride drivers seat and some extra parts included.
Price: 6,750.00

How would that work if I removed the fifth wheel and put a deuce bed on it? Width, over hang?

Just thinking out loud here is chilly SW PA.

Bill MVPA 21439

Artillerydan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: 5 ton tractor with a duece bed? Good idea or not?

i have done it. it has been 10 years or more now. but from memory it was fairly easy and you just need some bumperets and deal with the lights. it was cool looking. did it durring desert storm. all sand with inverted v.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: 5 ton tractor with a duece bed? Good idea or not?

I know Junkyard Wars Crusher has a cargo bed on his M51 and in pictures it looks good (I've never seen it in person)

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why put a deuce cargo bed on it when you can put a real 5 ton dump bed on it? The dumps and tractors share the same chassis. I have, or will have shortly, a 5 ton dump bed. One stake pocket is rusted and the tailgate is bowed out, but, short of that, it is clean and complete. It comes with the headache rack, tailgate, sub-frame, lift cylinders, and hrdraulic reservoir. You'd have to come up with the PTO and linkage...which is around (I had to find it for my old M817 that was missing this stuff). If you, or anyone else, is interested, please PM me. By the way, the dump bed is currently on my M929 and my plan is to replace it with my brand new dump bed.

Bruce

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...and, by the way, if it the "troop seat factor" that you care about, I have the correct troop seats, bows and 3 color vinyl cargo cover. Available for an extra fee.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
jh1990, yes the troop seats, bows and cargo cover are for the dump bed, They are as close to new as possible without being new. I bought everything new and had it installed for a few months (under cover).

BigUgly

I've been thinking about this for awhile myself. I like the idea of the short wheelbase for increased manuverability. My other thought is to build a slightly shorter flat-bed utility bed with space between the bed and cab for the spare and re-routed exhaust stack. All of this with a 800-series with 53"s.
That's my dream anyway.
Josiah

jeli

jh1990 said:
I've seen dump trucks w/ the covers on but I've never seen them with the troop seats on, Bruce or anybody have any pics?
I'll have to check my Army photo album for pics but I've spent many a night sleeping in the back of a dump on the troop seats. In bad weather it's great, especially if you have a coleman lantern for heat/light. If you can get the front tarp wrapped tight so air doesn't get by and turn it into the wind it stays really warm. In heavy downpours we but a block under the bed to keep the water out. The back gets a little wet but not the whole floor.