• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton transfercase not shifting

RDFD1

Can someone help? My volunteer fire dept. has aquired a 1972 M813A1 to use as a brush truck. When we inspected it and drove it home (100) plus miles everything worked. Now we are having a problem with the transfercase not shifting. With the tunnel cover off it appears that the shift rod at the top of the case is not fully going all the way in or out. any suggestions? Since the truck has not been put in service yet (we are still fabricating the bed), it has not been moved in quite some time. At present it will not go into high or low range.

jwaller

have you checked the fluid level? was it full before the 100 mile trip?

Try moving the lever while the input is turning, ie engine running and letting up on the clutch just enough to barely spin the shaft. you might have a misalignment in the gerset that having things moving will help.

RDFD1

The linkage moves freely and fluids are full. We manually pushed the truck and it went into high range. Best guess is after sitting for almost a year all the shafts and gears were dry. When its a little closer to being done we will drive it and see if that solves the problem. This our 1st 5 tonner and I will post pics when it's done. We also have a 1997 M35A3 with the Cat motor, auto and super singles for our next project. Thanks for the response and I'll keep you posted.

fasttruck

If the linkage is worn and you are not getting the full stroke, it is possible to adjust the length of some of the reach rods by backing the jam nut off and turning the clevis. This is easier done when the center section of the floor is out rather than reaching up from below in the grease and dark.