• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton wheels on 2 1/2?

bearboley

Not to stir the pot, BUT it seems that every time someone asked a previously asked question people jump on them for it and reply with search search search. If will all searched previous threads what would we have to talk about? I think folks would be better served to just answer the question than to bash other for inexperience, it does and has turned good people away.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeff: the pics in that link are showing a 20x10" FMTV wheel.
Installing a 1/2" thick center plate behind the inner half's face is very well possible and would leave you with a backspace of almost 9", vs 8.4" when doing the same with a HEMTT wheel.

Clearance - tire sidewall to steering draglink, etc. - will be increased almost 3" when running a typical 395/85R20 tire mounted on a 10" wide wheel with 9" backspace, compared to the same tire on a stock Deuce wheel (7.5" wide, 10.5" backspace).

G.

BadMastard

Ok, my quick brief on this, since a post or two of mine has been listed. I have had LOTS of luck finding people who will help me convert my fmtv (20 bolts securing the two part wheel together) at $600 or so a wheel, plus shipping.

I've had a couple around $400 a wheel.

I haven't had anyone yet tell me they can make me centers I can bolt in for less than that, but I'm still working on it. I really do want to re-use the fmtv wheels I bought, but it isn't easy or fun so far finding anyone with the CNC gear to make the centers. If I find someone who will or can, I will so let everyone know.

As far as using the search function? lol. when it works and you guess the right thing to search on, GREAT! Otherwise there are a few awesome human beings who tell me to search and the key words to use. THANK YOU!

KsM715

Not to stir the pot, BUT it seems that every time someone asked a previously asked question people jump on them for it and reply with search search search. If will all searched previous threads what would we have to talk about? I think folks would be better served to just answer the question than to bash other for inexperience, it does and has turned good people away.

Spoon feeding people info rather than having them figure out how the site works has turned good, no great people away as well.

If we answer a question everytime it is asked will do nothing but fill up the servers much faster. Imagine today if you tried to search for something you might get 3-4 good threads with the info your looking for. If we just answered questiond everytime you might have 300-400 threads to wade thru.

Lately Ive seen people who have searched but they either dont comprehend what the search revealed to them or they just feel better when someone answers them directly.

(the above reply is not directed at the OP of this post.)

tiny110 It was not my intention to insult you. I just wanted you to search around and see what you could find. Sometime thru search you can learn alot more than what you were looking for.

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am new on here also, and not real good using a computer. I have been on here for hours at times trying to figure out what to even look for, and half afraid to ask as not to get chewed out and made to feel stupid. I joined because I like people and these type vehicles. I even tried to load some pics for a calendar they were talking about but never did figure it out and did not ask. I guess I could put how do I use this in the search. I was doing a setup on a new race car I bought. I finally called the builder and he told me he sent the instructions with the car. I started telling him exactly what the instructions said from memory. He said exactly you have it, my next question was what is a control arm. Guess I'm saying being new we don't know all the things you long timers do. I guess I'm just saying we would like the friendship and knowledge. Hope to become friends with a lot of you.

tiny110

Banned
I read about 100 threads for every 1 thread I post up. I do my homework! Maybe I have miss understood. But I would thank this place is all about helping people out...

Danger Ranger

Yep, it is all about helping people out, but eventually the little bird needs to learn to fly the nest, you know? It isn't personal, at one point we all got it.2cents

Diverman, I think, maybe, I am not sure though, that instructions for posting pics is in the forum rules or something....I know I read it somewhere. There may even be posts on it...lol.:p

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am not trying to be sarcastic or meen or anything, just sometimes we do all that we newbe's can figure out, then we ask the question and I am asking it in the wrong place. It just takes a while to learn and I am just asking that the guys that have been on here a while understand. Thanks guys:)

markehle

I am pretty new to this site, but have been on the Internet since it's inception and am an I.T. professional. Helping people find things does not include saying "just search for it" when 1) you don't know what something is called, and 2) the search function on the site is not the best. We all have to start somewhere - be kind to us newbies. Also - many, many links on this site flat-out don't work. A case in point is the second post in this thread. Click on it and it just says, "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

If you can't say anything but "have you searched yet?" then in my humble opinion it's better not to say anything, as you WILL turn away people who might have a legitimate reason for asking a question. And even if they don't, well, gee - we all do dumb things, don't we? Plus the conversation might take a turn toward territory that is uncharted on this site and add to the body of knowledge for all.

All that being said, the best way to search this site is to use google, not this site's search function. Just go to google.com and in the search box type in site:steelsoldiers.com and then your search words. It's faster and always brings up better and more relevant results. To narrow down things, put quotes around phrases to return those exact phrases. Put a plus sign in front of a word or phrase that must be included in the results. Put a minus sign in front of a word or phrase you want to filter out.

I keep hitting this thread to expand my knowlege on MV rims, but all I find is the same old cheese and whine story about "search".
This thread may as well hit the recycle bin, since the next guy that finds it in a search, will just be stuck reading a load of crud.

ODdave

OP, If you would like ( I would ), You can PRUNE the thread to keep it wheel related. I would much rather read about wheels than hear bitcin.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Not sure it was posted in this thread before but someone on site made adaptors so 5t rims could be run on a deuce, there was a long thread about the design

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks