• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton winch parts?

Rene M

Does any one know who builds the winch that is mounted on the 5 ton?
More importantly who sells parts for them? My winch brake housing is badly cracked.:sad:

Rene M

I think someone " before me" was trying to push something large and it slipped under the bumper and struck the housing for the drag brake on the winch. Needless to say its very tore up.. bent broken and cracks every where. :(

well i need a pic but you would be supprised what a good welding shop can do with alluminun.we weld lower units from outbords and props a lot . the thing with alluminun it wont stick to steel so you can put a steel backing plate and even fill up holes or missing pieces.i have even welded up an aluminum block on an older skidoo that was impossible to find the part. just sompthing to check into.

Rene M

well i need a pic but you would be supprised what a good welding shop can do with alluminun.we weld lower units from outbords and props a lot . the thing with alluminun it wont stick to steel so you can put a steel backing plate and even fill up holes or missing pieces.i have even welded up an aluminum block on an older skidoo that was impossible to find the part. just sompthing to check into.
I am **** good with a tig but the housing in its cup shape deformed before it broke which means the seal land will have to be built up and cut again + 5 or more hours to have a patch work of pieces. I would rather just buy it since it is my drag brake i would like it to work and if the nose goes under water, i would like to keep the winch oil in and the water out.
Trust me .... im cheep and would rather spend a day rebuilding something rather than buy but not in this case.

I have Found that BOYCE equip sells parts and has blessed me with an exploded view. " which i will be hosting on my server soon for all to use"

well if you can get parts cheep thats the way to go if its the last one in existence then i guess its fix it time lol. oh and a spool gun would be way faster and yes i also am verry good with a tig.its almost a lost art . i learned to weld aluminum with an acetalane torch . bare rods and a jar of flux,34 years ago time flys lol

Rene M

lol, I learned that way my self trying to put stuff back together that i blew up.
I guess we will see if the price is right then i will buy it. If not...... well here we go again.:jumpin:

well if you can get parts cheep thats the way to go if its the last one in existence then i guess its fix it time lol. oh and a spool gun would be way faster and yes i also am verry good with a tig.its almost a lost art . i learned to weld aluminum with an acetalane torch . bare rods and a jar of flux,34 years ago time flys lol

Rene M

The housing was $75 bucks new
the seal was $29 . a bit high but, i deal with heavy Diesel stuff everyday and that's cheep by our standards.
I got a new yoke for the input shaft of the winch " the one with the sheer bolt in it" for $49 with the bolt.

All in all i think these guys are very reasonable, And great to deal with.

I wish i could get someone to put up a permanent link up on those exploded views. I worked hard to get those for every one.

Last edited:

Rene M

Oh, i meant for all of you. Those links are loaded on my server and will be there forever..
If anyone else ever needed them is what i was talking about.. :jumpin:

Rene M

I got all my stuff and have the winch out of the frame " because its the only way to change the **** brake housing" the roller must be removed to do so which is a real pain in the frame.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
those big winches arent fun at all.. very heavy.. i need to overhaul all the seals in one if mine one day.. thanks for the info and the exploded view :eek:

crasheej

Try the rear one on a 816 now they are a barrel of fun. Nice to get out . I just love to take apart half the truck to get at what is wrong. Still love these trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks