• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Winch Shear Pins

DOCUSN1

Hi all does anyone know where to get shear pins for the 5 ton 809 series trucks front winch ? I need to order some and some info I have found seems to be getting old. Hope all is well with everyone stay warm thank you. Mark:roll:

supermechanic

3/8 inch aluminum bolts work fine, McMaster-Carr has them.
Do Not use anything other than aluminum, even the softest grade steel is much to hard, and will cause driveline breakage.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
3/8 inch aluminum bolts work fine, McMaster-Carr has them.
Do Not use anything other than aluminum, even the softest grade steel is much to hard, and will cause driveline breakage.
Hmmm...the m656/xm757 5-tonners use the same winch as the M54 or M809 trucks, but specify a copper alloy (5315-00-880-5861 vs 5315-00-209-7979).

supermechanic

Hmmm...the m656/xm757 5-tonners use the same winch as the M54 or M809 trucks, but specify a copper alloy (5315-00-880-5861 vs 5315-00-209-7979).
Always a spoiler out there.

It boils down to this,
The pin is designed to be the weakest part, don't substitute something that will make gears and u-joints the next weakest part in line.
Thinking people will make thoughtful choices,
If you have no source for the original part, you will find a reasonable substitute.

No, it won't be 100% original, but if this is for a working truck, which mine is, then 'field expediant solutions' become acceptable.

If you are doing a museum piece, then by all means purchase the two dollar gadjet with the ten cent function, as it will never need replacement.

If you have access to the specified items, so much better.
My caution stands, do not substitute a hard pin for a soft one, it is there for a very good reason.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I machine all of my winch shear pins out of 6061-T6 aluminum bar stock. They have worked well for both 2 1/2 ton and 5 ton winches for many years. I have never gotten the impression they either failed too easily or were too hard. If I fail one, I figure I should have used different rigging!
Regards Marti

DOCUSN1

Thankyou for the valuable information gents I will have to substitue the actual pin with a soft aluminum one as I have not found any pins so far. Seeing my truck is a worker I need the wich to work. ThankYou again Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks