• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton won't build air to trailer

jgator

i have a trailer hooked up to my 5 ton and it won't build air past 60 psi; builds good pressure when the trailer is disconnected....

anyone have similar issues with this???

Greenbeast1

The trailer is a 20 ton tilt trailer with ABS brake system. I don't think the lines are crossed, but I am not familiar with this type of truck. I had the trailer working with an international truck and it works fine. Any ideas what to look for?i just bought this truck from jgator. Everything is like new. There are no air leaks in the trailer. I checked for leaks around the truck and found none. The pressure drops when I open the air valves to supply the trailer.

Last edited:

ichudov

That's normal, the trailer also has tanks, and the air found more volume for itself.

Now if you run the truck, does the pressure stay at 60?

Can you close the valves, re-pressurise the truck again, and supply the trailer again?

Greenbeast1

The trailer requires minimum of 100psi to free the parking axel. I changed the glad hands to quick connects. The moment I open the valves , the pressure falls to 60. It falls lower if the truck idles. Increased rpm to 1000 and the air pressure maxes out at 60 in both primary and secondary.

quickfarms

The trailer requires minimum of 100psi to free the parking axel. I changed the glad hands to quick connects. The moment I open the valves , the pressure falls to 60. It falls lower if the truck idles. Increased rpm to 1000 and the air pressure maxes out at 60 in both primary and secondary.
If the trailer requires 100 psi to release the spring brakes then there is a problem. The spring brakes should release about 60 psi. The air compressor cut in pressure can be set as low as 85 psi.

Greenbeast1

I have had this trailer for 2 years. It has always required 100 to release the spring brake. My international truck airs up pretty quick and stays above 100 with no problem. The trailer has Haldex ABS brake system. I don't know if there is a setting that can be changed to lower the spring brake of the trailer.

ichudov

I have had this trailer for 2 years. It has always required 100 to release the spring brake. My international truck airs up pretty quick and stays above 100 with no problem. The trailer has Haldex ABS brake system. I don't know if there is a setting that can be changed to lower the spring brake of the trailer.
The pressure that would release spring brakes is determined by the brake chamber. I cannot see how you could even find a brake chamber with such funky release pressure. Sounds odd.

Greenbeast1

The pressure that would release spring brakes is determined by the brake chamber. I cannot see how you could even find a brake chamber with such funky release pressure. Sounds odd.
I looked up the Haldex ABS brake system. Also the Bendex ABS system, they both show the pressure to release and activate the parking brake axel to be between 90 and 120 psi. Maybe I am not explaining it right. Something might need to be adjusted or something is stuck. I just don't know where to start.

Greenbeast1

What kind of 5 ton and trailer ?
Are the lines crossed ?
I took a look at this possibility and discovered that the lines are reversed on the truck even though they. Put the red on the drivers side and yellow on the passenger side. They are positioned correct in the front oft he truck correct but the glad hands are also mis identified. Thanks to everyone that tried to help me solve this mystery. The truck was re manufactured in dec of 2012 so whoever hooked up the lines on the truck must have been sleeping that day!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks