• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5-ton won't turn over

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmetalmiki

Yes ok, BUT a 5 ton what? exactly? We can only help if we know what truck you have. As every version has different starter relays and solonoids.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Sorry but everyone with a question is asking for "help" (assistance). A more descriptive title and specific details are more critical than asking for generic help.

Artisan

i have a 5 ton that the batteries are good but not starting just clicking

OK! You got it man..............
What have you done to help yourself?
Can you upload pics?
What TM have you perused?
Have you cleaned all terminals?
What TM have you perused?

sandcobra164

A proper description and identification of the truck does help. For instance, I was working on my M923 tonight and the wiper's would not work once the truck built air pressure. Search around and you will find many threads discussing the PPV or pressure protection valve. Mine failed, I found a few ways to get back on the road. Truck never left the yard but now I know what I need to work at.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As you can see, I edited your thread title.

Please only use the word "HELP" in emergency situations.

acme66

I went through something very similar. I recommend pulling the ground wires off and tightening them back down. I ended up making an additional ground line from the starter to the block out of heavy cable. This was the result of fighting an issue over the course of two weeks, new starters, solenoids the works. Easy test.

Ken

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The GIMP can help in turning it over, he has a lot of experience.

74M35A2

I sell new upgraded lightweight gear reduction starters in 12v and 24v, just sayin'........

The starter solenoid does 2 things: It throws out the pinion gear to engage with the flywheel teeth, and it also closes the contacts supplying battery power to the actual starter motor it is attached to. HD engines have a nominal mis-engagement rate of 1%-3% due to their large (flat) tooth design. That portion of the flywheel could have burrs on the teeth, which prevent proper engagement. Rotate the engine to another point, and try again. If still only clicks, then measure voltage on both sides of the large starter solenoid studs while holding the start switch engaged. If power only on one side, then either the signal through the start wire to the starter solenoid is not present, or the contacts in the end of the solenoid are shot. Check voltage on signal wire to starter when start switch held on. If you have battery voltage on both large terminals of the solenoid as the start switch is held, then that means power is being fed to the actual motor, but it is not spinning. Yes, whacking it with a heavy object can jiggle the brushes under the end cap and get it to work again, but not for very long.

If the clicking you hear is not at the actual starter, then it is likely the starter relay, which not mounted on the starter. This is different than the starter solenoid.

Rmtaunton

Danman a member here , after having a problem with the pcb wrote and diagnosed the problem from the Tm and his unbelievable skill in electronics , trust me I was lost but it might help if you contact him or if he writes me and let's me post his tests and so forth on it , !!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The OP has logged on as late as today but hasn't responded to the thread so we can help.

I'm locking the thread. If the OP wants it opened back up, he can PM me or one of the other moderators.

Status
Not open for further replies.