• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Wrecker ?

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just bought a M715 parts truck from a guy. This is the same guy I have been hearing has a 5 Ton Wrecker. I didn't get a chance to see it but he says it has a gas Reo engine in it and it does not have a rear winch or 5th wheel? He has not used it in a year or two since his brother was using it and "bowed" the frame, he said he heard a ticking sound from the rear drive shaft and thought the shaft was clicking where it attached to the first rear differential? Anyway were there many M62's or M246's that were not converted to diesel? He has had the truck for about 8 years but saw it up for sale back in the early 80's.

Attachments

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is an M108, when I google it, it comes up a self propelled howitzer? He also said the air filter was on the passenger side fender, so it is an older truck and he was sure it is not diesel since he has already rebuilt the heads on the engine, and it runs like a "top".
The 715 is still 24 volt and pretty complete, along with a seized engine and a "out of the crate" Chrysler Military Industrial v8 in the back, unfortunately it has been sitting there under a piece of tin for the last 9 years.
James G.

Attachments

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: wrecker

Nit picking, but its a M108 Crane Truck. The deuce wrecker is the M60 (which has a rear winch). The M108 was intended primarily as a bomb service truck.

The giveaway that it is a 2 /12 ton truck is the Reo engine- and if he rebuilt the engine, he knows what it is. For further confirmation, the OA-331 Reo engine is a sleeved engine, whereas the Continental R6602 found in 5 tons is not sleeved.

The frame of the M108 (and rear axles) are special, so fixing it "right" could be challenging.

But then again, there is a place here in town that has been succesfully straightening frames on semis for 40+ years....

Regards,
David

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next Visit

It will be February before I can get back down to have a look at it. He did say it was a 5 ton, he wants 2K for it? He also has a 5 ton drop side truck that has an automatic transmission, but it was not for sale, he is still useing it on the farm. I wanted the Chrysler V8 just to mess with since I doubt it is free after almost 10 years outside, it would be nice if it would run, several projects it could power.
James G.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Next Visit

Sure sounds like an M108 to me also but what do I know. Please post pics of it when you can. The fender mounted air cleaner sounds strange though especially if he knows it's a gasser.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Next Visit

I like the new M715. Looks like better than a parts truck if you ask me, my -725 was in worse shape and I brought it back from the dead! Keep the drivetrain stock unless the engine in it is messed up. The stock 230cid works just fine, despite what a lot of hot rodders say. Keep an eye on the oil pressure and make sure all your seals and lines are okay, and you're good!

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M715

I have a few, I was told the engine is seized. But for $400 how could I go wrong, everything is there including the tail gate, a rare find on a forestry truck! I hope the wrecker is a 108 I don't have a 2.5 ton in the motor pool.
James G.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M715

Oops, Gimpyrobb, didn't read the list of vehicles he had!

For $400, very nice price! I notice that the tailgate has a dent in it, though. Running gag on M715Zone.com is that undented tailgates no longer exist, anywhere, even on restored -715s! :)

pistolnut

Re: RE: M715

maddawg308 said:
Oops, Gimpyrobb, didn't read the list of vehicles he had!

For $400, very nice price! I notice that the tailgate has a dent in it, though. Running gag on M715Zone.com is that undented tailgates no longer exist, anywhere, even on restored -715s! :)
Yep, it definately has "the dent". In the same place as mine too, towards the right side. you expect it over where a trailer tongue might be, not out to the side. My deuce has it in the same spot as well.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: M715

Nice Find with that truck you get it an at least $50 worth of scrap steel too They are nice trucks and I know we all look forward to the recovery pictures and the wrecker when you get back down.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: M715

If I were wealthier, I would have been driving the Orange Crate M715 home. I really liked that truck Tom.