• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton wrecker

moparguy

I bought a wrecker fall of last year. I had some intrest in here on the 5 ton chassis minus the wrecker body. At the West End Fair Grounds Show.

The engine has a bad cylinder ( not totaly shure but it misses on one). It does have power steering on the collum.

Anyone intrested let me know there is no winch in the front and im not really intrested in parting it out....

Im going to put the wrecker body on a Mack.

Thanks
email is mopartillidie@yahoo.com

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Heck, its better than sending someones daughter through college. Nice to WATCH them collect the money though!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Although there is not much information in the initial post, I think this sounds like a terrible waste of a wrecker.

Wreckers are desirable in both the collector and commercial markets, why wouldn't you just swap the engine with a good takeout and sell it as a functional wrecker, then buy a 5 ton cargo truck or tractor and re-sell that? 5 ton tractors have been flooding the surplus market for several years now, you should be able to get one cheap.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Why waste time fixing it? It would still be underpowered and slow. Its his truck and he should do what he wants with it.

LESS FILLING!

moparguy

No bed, and its not a factory wrecker truck. S
o im going to put it on a driveable truck frame. A B81 sx Mack. Would take 2000 just to get it out of my hair. Its got power steering, a heater, runs dont knock just got no power.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bed is the most desirable thing about that truck. Without it it might be hard to sell for 2k. But you never know...

Hate to say it but the axles would be worth quite a bit by themselves to some offroader type.

LanceRobson

Considering that a patient person can buy a running M813 for around $3K a rough, low on power chopped up cab and chassis with funky paint is going to be a hard sell at $2K. Especially if there is no title or transferable registration with the truck.

If one were to scrap it at today's prices and separate the copper air lines and wiring out from the steel it would bring, most likely, around $1,500 to $1,800 and more money if it were cut up. If the axles, transmission, power divider and PTO, engine and engine accessories, transfer case etc were sold off it would be more work but bring more money than it would any other way.

I would note that no wrecker prior to the HEMTT had any power by modern standards even on the day it was built. If moparguy doesn't have fairly extensive experience with MVs he may be expecting a level of power that just isn't there. 170 HP in a 35,000 pound truck doesn't exact;y get your blood pumping from the rocket sled acceleration...

Come to think of it, a HEMTT wrecker at 69K pounds and with an 8V92 Detroit wasn't really very perky either. I guess the automatic transmission just made the experience a bit more tolerable and you didn't have to pay as much attention on hills.

Still, Gimpy is right, he should do what he wants with his truck.

Lance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks