• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Tons and snow

usrrlg

I am new to this and bought a 5 ton 6X6 M923. Are these good in the snow? I live in Maine and have really no idea how the vehicle will perform in winter driving.

Artisan

I have been told they are outstanding in all flavors of weather by a 70 year old
man whom lives eats and sleeps these things. He has towed in the snow
as well. Just flip the front axle swich in high range and power on. I was
also told that there is no reason for chains. Personally i will not
sleep till I have at least two sets but he says they just power along
w/o issue.

I believe I read in one of the TM's that if you chain up only chain
the front axle and the front rear...

seano11

Drove mine up through snow. Loose snow they work excellent hard packed snow is ok for moving forward. For stopping make sure you leave lots of room on hard pack. I should mention this is with 1400 Xl tires

Triple C

Welcome to the site usrrlg; I too bought mine (925A1) to get through in the snow. We don't have much but we live on a east/west road with cut banks. It isn't uncommon to have 4 or 5 ft drifts. I am counting on my unit getting me through when I need to go. Guess we will find out. Again, welcome, there is a world of help here.

F18hornetM

I would think at least one set of chains would be very helpful. Even if just singles on one axle. We don't get much snow here, but I would think it would help huge stopping. At work we have Line buckets and digger derricks that weigh 30+K lbs. They do well in the snow, but if we put chains on them they do awesome. They are only 2 wheel drive as well.
I have a couple sets of singles for our M35, but havent had any snow to try them. :p

Last edited:

Danl

I am new to this and bought a 5 ton 6X6 M923. Are these good in the snow? I live in Maine and have really no idea how the vehicle will perform in winter driving.
I'm from Maine to, The driveing on plowed roads,or ice roads, you will be fine with this truck,watch out for the snowmobilers on the ice roads, them crazy guys on a sled is to foolish, to use a break, watch out for them, If you get ballzee and take it off road you will need a skidder to pull you out, a pick up can't do the job, so keep the 5 ton on good trails and all will be fine, over a foot of snow in the trails is hard . less than a foot you will be ok . the truck is so heavy it breaks thourgh the pine needals and sturs up the mud. you will figure things out, Have fun, you got a good toy in the 5 ton

autoshopteacher

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depending on tires, you might want chains on the front for braking and steering. My experience with tires is almost all with the old military 9.00 and 11.00 tires and they don't stop or steer well on hardpack snow and ice. 10 + years in tactical units in the 70's and 80's in Europe and now my own snowplow M817 in Montana.
Copy of 9 Dec 8.jpg

cx65083

I have the 11x20 NDT's and have been chewing through deep snow easy enough. I haven't been down the road with her much yet, but I hear these NDT's are really slick. So take it slow and easy till you feel it out and get a sense of how they handle!

jwaller

it would be way better if you could put an extra 5k or 10k in the back just for extra traction. You will love the ride and will do wonders for traction.

emr

There are basic tried and true tire rules, Of course most people think theres are the best there are, And they are for them, But it is pretty simple, singles instead of duels will go further because the back tires dont have to plow thru widening the path , the front tires already did that, duels are more stable though. Now tires.... Narrow tall are better for mud and snow, big and wide are better for sand and rocks, the NDTs have with stood the test of time and can carry loads with 15 pounds of air with no blow outs and handle tough terrain, no other tire out there can do that, but w dont need that, But again an NDT aired down is an awesome tire for sure, people run highway air pressure then go on a post and say the tires got me stuck, thats a laugh , the driver got the truck stuck and did not understand the tires they are driving, The Military new we would be fighting in sand and rocks and they have the tires to do that, wide tires in mud and snow have to plow the snow in front of them, narrow tires cut thru, no matter who believes what these are time tested and facts, Of course driver , truck , and tires are a team here and there are always exceptions to a point, but as a whole these are the facts. And as for a 5 ton good off road, these are tactical trucks yes they are better, and they will leave your pickup stuck out back, but if you have a novice in the 5 ton and an experienced driver in the pick up that may be different, but apples to apples no comparison at all... :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks