• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Tons and snow

seano11

There are basic tried and true tire rules, Of course most people think theres are the best there are, And they are for them, But it is pretty simple, singles instead of duels will go further because the back tires dont have to plow thru widening the path , the front tires already did that, duels are more stable though. Now tires.... Narrow tall are better for mud and snow, big and wide are better for sand and rocks, the NDTs have with stood the test of time and can carry loads with 15 pounds of air with no blow outs and handle tough terrain, no other tire out there can do that, but w dont need that, But again an NDT aired down is an awesome tire for sure, people run highway air pressure then go on a post and say the tires got me stuck, thats a laugh , the driver got the truck stuck and did not understand the tires they are driving, The Military new we would be fighting in sand and rocks and they have the tires to do that, wide tires in mud and snow have to plow the snow in front of them, narrow tires cut thru, no matter who believes what these are time tested and facts, Of course driver , truck , and tires are a team here and there are always exceptions to a point, but as a whole these are the facts. And as for a 5 ton good off road, these are tactical trucks yes they are better, and they will leave your pickup stuck out back, but if you have a novice in the 5 ton and an experienced driver in the pick up that may be different, but apples to apples no comparison at all... :)
I have to disagree with you on tall skinny tire's being better in snow. On roads or in small amounts of snow tall and skinny is better.But in deeper snow letting air out of your tires to let them widen out is much better. Gives you alot more traction

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When all is said and done, chain her up. That give you safety, security and control. Some weight in the back too. Letting air out give you a little, but chains are the answer. With duals, only use "three railers" (both wheels chained). Singles are dangerous, on duals (they will get you a ticket in British Columbia). The wheels spin - the chained tire digs out, and the inside one then holds it up, from digging down, not giving you traction. Singles are only for the steering. Once you have chains on, the kind of tire almost becomes a mute point. In very deep snow, "wheel hop"
becomes a problem, if not a limiting factor.

pa.rich

My five ton does ok on the level but get wet snow or mud on hills, its so heavy it slows down and just sits and spins. I dont like the military tires for snow because I think the center rib, continuous, doesnt let the horizontal ribs to dig in. My 2 cents.

Scarecrow1

I for one have always relied on the driver more than the truck . I have been a long way from home in a truck with duels on the back and two wheel drive. Keeping your head and thinking BEFORE you get into a bad situation is the best way to get back home safely. There is NO truck or tire to protect people from being stupid!!!!!!

emr

Scarecrow no truer words have ever been spoken.The driver means more than anything BIG TIME!! He will adjust for all and make it thru, ..I would like to add the driver and air pressur, but that means driver anyway :) .>>>seano, that is an opinion in circumstances you have been in, i making comments on things read in Mil testing over the years actually since ww1 ... and 35 years of Mud Bogging, extreme to light 4bying and 6 by ing,I have done allot and all add up to everything mil testing says is true.... I have found also, Now there are times and places one might find a change but overwhelmingly what I said is true. the basics I say are true, a wide tire has to work harder on what you are saying no matter how much air you let out, it just has to push more snow, period, and that makes it harder to go, In an apple to apple test you would fall behind the narrow tire period. ") I also have had the opportunity in the same blizzard and other snow storms and some mud pits to drive 2 of my deuces one with 900 ndccs 1 with 1100 ndccs and apple to apple comparison, also went and pulled out a cckw 352 with the narrow ndts tires but much less power, and then pull out both 5 tons one with 1100 ndts and one with 1400s, over the last 12 years of all those in the stable and i have to say I also yank the tops in these storms :) Just had to say that, So I really am speaking from experience here, I may not have driven all in one particular day , but a storm , yes, and 4 in a day for sure, I will add, do what you believe in, just follow the basics when you can, i sure thnk the cool factor adds to every tire one may want , and the driver can pick up the rest. All the best... :) >>>>>>>>>>seano I just noticed you are in Canada, WELL, In tundra situations you are 100 % correct :) Sorry i missed that And you did state road, But Like i tried to say with all that, there are times things change, but the basics are the bisics... :):):) seano And after thinking, i am sure I have not driven in conditions you have, i have driven for a week around the clock in the 36inch blizzard of 96" and some complete black out situations,on roads and parking lots ... i would think you can top that by allot :)

Last edited:

seano11

Scarecrow no truer words have ever been spoken.The driver means more than anything also BIG TIME!! He will adjust for all and make it thru, ..I would like to add the driver and air pressur, but that means driver anyway :) .>>>seano, that is an opinion in circumstances you have been in, i making comments on things read in Mil testing over the years actually since ww1 ... and 35 years of Mud Bogging, extreme to light 4bying and 6 by ing,I have done allot and all add up to everything mil testing says is true.... I have found also, Now there are times and places one might find a change but overwhelmingly what I said is true. the basics I say are true, a wide tire has to work harder on what you are saying no matter how much air you let out, it just has to push more snow, period, and that makes it harder to go, In an apple to apple test you would fall behind the narrow tire period. ") I also have had the opportunity in the same blizzard and other snow storms and some mud pits to drive 2 of my deuces one with 900 ndccs 1 with 1100 ndccs and apple to apple comparison, also went and pulled out a cckw 352 with the narrow ndts tires but much less power, and then pull out both 5 tons one with 1100 ndts and one with 1400s, over the last 12 years of all those in the stable and i have to say I also yank the tops in these storms :) Just had to say that, So I really am speaking from experience here, I may not have driven all in one particular day , but a storm , yes, and 4 in a day for sure, I will add, do what you believe in, just follow the basics when you can, i sure thnk the cool factor adds to every tire one may want , and the driver can pick up the rest. All the best... :)
So your saying a dozer with skinny tracks will go farther then a dozer with wide tracks ?

emr

I never mentioned dozers... Totaly different animal, and yes there would be times the wide tracks would just slide around, here near the shore the equipment has wide tracks on the sand, But by far most do not in other locations, muddy , rocky areas all have narrow tracked vehicles around here, , so probably yes, But I can only talk about what I see here. I have noticed the tracks on most mil vehicles are not that wide, in fact APC=s and 109 pallidnes are very narrow tracked , only the m1A1s are of the wide type, and again they are designed to fight in the desert and they rule there, so again yes I will say to that :)

Last edited:

seano11

I just wanna make it clear that I'm not trying to be a dick or anything. But deflated tires in deep snow get you a lot further then skinny ones do. Look at all those Iceland trucks. They run big low pressure wide tires.

emr

I think the best way to answer your question is, yes if there is a road OR hard pack underneath of some sort , Yes a narrow track or tire will go farther faster, NOW, If one is in the tundra or conditions that one will high center before finding traction, yes a flotation tire or wide track will be the right choice. I personally love tires, and have allot of time reading TMs and tests of all kinds, of course there is always more to know.Here is an fyi... Military directionals are meant to all face the right way, one will find in service they get all messed up, but that does not mean they are not supposed to be the correct way, also directionals are the best tire for traction in one direction, period, also the Military states in a TM I have , when running directionals on trucks to make sure they are correct and for trailers with directionals they should face the opposite way, this way they will have a longer tread life it states. So to be correct, running directionals the truck should have em all the same way, and the trailer should have em in reverse... just an fyi

Last edited:

emr

Just like I SAID IN THE TUNDRA YOU ARE 100 % CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IcelAND IS DIFFERENT :) No problem we are sayin the very very same thing, in iceland and soft pack ,And they get you further there because they keep you from sinking and hanging up on the frame, ...high centering :)

Last edited:

usrrlg

Thanks to all of you that replied! That is a lot of information but it seems that general concenus is that the truck will do well in the snow with the right tires and driver! Thanks again to all of you!

Artisan

Ya suppose that the probably 3000 pounds of plow helped? :)

THANX For the Movie! (Be sure to tnak the viseograp"her" too I bet! )

Artisan

I have NICE 14:00-20 snow chains for sale in the classifieds or PM me.
$120 EA wheel plus flat rate USPS shipping.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks