• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Tons in New Jersey

What are your plans with your 931? I use my 932 for farm work but primarily wheelin'. The truck LOVES mud and deep water. It'd be nice to have another 5 ton in the woods so when I get stuck there is enough weight to drag me out. The winch works great but they're slow.

TURKEY131

I am thinking of a mod so that I could tow a Civy trailer, maybe a 12 volt plug. Anyone every do this, suggestions would be great. Also I have my Class A but anyone running these monsters with out a CDL?

Last edited:

TURKEY131

What are your plans with your 931?
I'm not really sure right now what I am going to do with it. It's big and drives nicely. Makes my M35 look like a pickup truck. I have some items that need be addressed, The windshield frame needs be replaced, and the drivers side fender.

Last edited:

aheilmann68

I did a stacked drop hitch. 2-1/2" on top and 2" on the bottom. 1/2" drop brackets, 4x4 square tube, D ring shackles all welded. Also made up a converter to a 12V 7 pin civi trailer.

aheilmann68

Not hard 5 relays, a project box and crimp fittings. Pull 12v back to the box and use the relay in line with the lights in the back and your ready to go

plode

For those of you with M923's here in NJ, I'm looking at buying one very soon and have some questions. I found one about 15 minutes from here for sale.

1. How is your truck registered, and how much does it cost per year? I was looking at doing the non-commercial truck code 15 registration. I'll have to have DMV change the GVWR if it isn't already below 26,000(it's currently registered as commercial, in a businesses name, so there is a good chance the GVWR is currently over 26K). The truck is a 1984, so it does qualify for QQ(historic) tags, but I don't want the restrictions of only using it for exhibition or education. I want to use it whenever I want(like driving to work in the snow), although the historic tags make things a lot cheaper.

2. Since the truck itself weighs 21,000lbs, it'll have to be inspected for diesel emissions. How difficult is the inspection, and do you know where it gets done?(I'm in Southern NJ)

3. How much does insurance run you, per year, and who is the provider?

4. Do I need a CDL to drive it since it has air brakes? I've driven larger trucks with air brakes before(fire trucks), but they didn't require a CDL since it was for responding to emergencies.

Last edited:

higgs

Registered mine a 1991 with code 15 non commercial with a GVW of 21,500 the curb weight. Cost roughly $300 to register and $300 for insurance thru Gulfway in Florida. Yes you will need to have annual smoke test and self inspection done (any diesel garage will smoke test) it cost around $85. You will also need a CDL class B with air brake endorsement to drive it. If possible I would go with Historic plates much cheaper but you still need a CDL.

Thanks
higgs

plode

You will also need a CDL class B with air brake endorsement to drive it. If possible I would go with Historic plates much cheaper but you still need a CDL.
I've rented a Penske box truck in the past year that was less than 26,000 GVWR, but it had air brakes. Guy that did the rental said I did not need a CDL. I'm a little confused on this.

quickfarms

I've rented a Penske box truck in the past year that was less than 26,000 GVWR, but it had air brakes. Guy that did the rental said I did not need a CDL. I'm a little confused on this.
Technically you do need an air brake endorsement but it is usually not enforced if the GVW is under 26,000 lbs.

A 5 ton has a GVW over 30,000 lbs so a class B CDL is required unless your state specifically exempts non commercial vehicles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks