• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Tons trucks in New England

loslobos11

Hi to everyone on the site, I am a new member looking for some advice on M813's as far as a)Are there anyplaces or anyone who sells these in the New England area besides schotts, or has anyone dealt with schotts before? Actually any info on m813s as far as tips on buying one would be appreciated. I do live in Maine and would like to pick one up in the spring, however i dont want to travel out of the N.E. area to get one. Any advice/tips/personal experience anyone wants to share would be excellent.Thanks!! :D

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
this doesnt count for much, but when I was on the hunt for a MV, I called Schotts... They wouldnt give me the time of day. Right then I crossed them off the list. If they cant answer some quick questions on the phone about their products, then that speaks volumes about their customer service.. Perhaps it was a one time fluke...

M1075

Not a one time fluke. I experience the same issues with Schotts. They don't seem to be geared toward the individual buyer. They are looking for sales in quantity.

jatonka

I have heard the same thing and they DON'T sell parts. But... you are in Maine,they are in Maine, they will let you buy a truck, they won't take the time to try to sell you one but you already want one,so what? They are also cheap for the quality that they have. You pick one, tell them the # on it and they tell you how much, just that simple. If you buy one from a nice guy in some distant state, you're gonna pay $3.00 a loaded mile and it is going up to $3.25 this winter. I haul, I buy MV's and I struggle to make ends meet too. Buy a good truck locally, you can buy parts and accessories anywhere you want, they are cheaper to ship than whole trucks. John Tennis

loslobos11

Yeah I actually called schotts a couple weeks ago to talk to them about what they had, as far as any phone info it was pretty short...the guy I talked to did say to just give him a call when I wanted to take a look around but other than that it was kind of a brush off. Work has been crazy but I am hoping to get over and look at them wednesday, looking for the reg body, hardtop with a winch, like an 1981 or so. Any telltale trouble spots i should be looking for on the 813's?

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 Ton Advice

I believe that I'm qualified to give advice as I own over 10 5 Tons, M809 and M939 series the whole lot of them. Click here to see a crap load of pictures of my trucks or here to see all of my stuff. If the links don’t work, go to (http://czarnik.net/joe/My_Stuff/) and follow your way to my truck photos.

I agree with most of the advice that’s been given so far. In fact, I’ll tell you that steelsoldiers is one hell of an awesome group of guys and gals. If you’re not a believer yet, check out the post where a steelsoldiers member just broke down in Michigan with his deuce and another steelsoldier member was there to help him within hours.

OK, the M809 series 5-ton is a great truck.

The 250 small cam Cummins started it’s life as one of the first over the road diesel engines; the 855 block, which is what the 250 Cummins is, was JUST retired by Cummins, more than a 40-year run. The Cummins weak point is (a) the small cam and pitting of the cylinder liners, which you can prevent with additive. Let the motor idle for five minutes before you shut it down; this, frankly, is good advice for any diesel motor.

The air over hydraulic brakes will put you through the windshield if adjusted properly and maintained (most important here is that you drain the damn air reservoir EVERY time you shut it down).

The entire drive train is solid so long as you keep it lubricated.

My rub with the M813 is that the clutch throw-out bearing does not have grease joints (commercial over the road trucks are grease-able), so when the bearing goes you get to separate the transmission from the motor.

Now about your location. I agree with earlier advice that shipping will eat your lunch. I’ve never purchased from Schotts, and I do understand that they come across as rude, but I do understand their position – very well. I occasionally sell trucks. People will talk the death out of you with questions and never buy. The best way to keep the tire kickers away is to act like you don’t need to sell a truck. When you do this the people who are truly ready to buy will hound you (the seller) if they really want a truck. I’m not as harsh as Schotts, but frankly I’m getting that way. If someone truly wants what I have to sell, they’ll come to see it with cash in hand. I, as Schotts I’m sure, simply don’t have time for the tens and tens of tire kickers you’d normally get before you run into someone who’s truly ready to buy.

Here’s my last bit of advise – STAY AWAY FROM ANY TRUCK EQUIPPED WITH THE DETROIT LOCKERS!!! You don’t need them and frankly they get stuck just as easy as the five tons without lockers. Moreover, the axles on the lockers break MUCH more often if you load the vehicle, and the lockers are VERY, VERY hard on transfer cases. If a transfer case normally lasts 50k miles, the trucks equipped with the lockers cuts that life by two thirds!!! Others will tell you I’m full of shit, BUT, I own these trucks and my lockers-equipped trucks (all but one) have had to have the transfer cases replaced. In fact, I’ve got a reasonably nice M813 with lockers that I’ll sell you for $10,000.00 RIGHT NOW (this price does not include the super singles), but it needs transfer case; click here or go to (http://czarnik.net/joe/My_Stuff/5_T...r Sale/1988 M813 565009/After Steam Cleaning/) for pictures. It’s too bad, because the rest of the drive train is new, including the motor. THE LOCKERS EQUIPPED TRUCKS ARE HARD ON THE DRIVE TRAIN, ESPECIALLY THE TRANSFER CASE!!!

MOST of the USMC M813s are/were equipped with lockers. It appears to me that most, if not all, of Schotts trucks are equipped with lockers.

My advice is to go to Schotts and ask them to see a truck that does NOT have the lockers. Otherwise, ask them to sell you a truck that they’ve taken the Lockers out of.

Otherwise, find a GL truck closer to your home. Buy it, have it towed to your place and work on it there.

Good journey,

Joe

M1075

RE: 5 Ton Advice

Joe, thanks for your insight and perspectives. It is great to see you on the site. Have you got that deuce sold yet?

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey 2 Star, Thanks. I can't believe that I waited this long to join. Deuce and trailer still for sale. Naturally it's a high end deuce and trailer, but, ALL the work is done. It's a great truck and someone's going to get a great deal. Thanks, Joe

red devils dude

joe just wanted to pipe up and say I grew up in Kaukauna on the east side of Appleton and your trucks must have been the one's I saw over the years
now and again.

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Red Devils Dude, Kaukauna huh?! I actually grew up in Darboy and went to Kimberly H.S. I'll forgive you for going to Kaukauna H.S.:) How'd you end up near Syracuse? Joe Czarnik

loslobos11

Thanks Joe and everyone else for the advice so far, yeah primarily the truck is going to be kind of a weekend warrior but I do plan on a dump conversion so it will also get loaded and work occasionally. To that end I am going to see if Schotts has any trucks minus lockers, but from what I have learned that would be a great rarity, however I should know more on wednesday. You are (I believe) right about lockers cutting down the life on a truck, I used to have a 3/4ton GMC with detroit's and was constantly replacing parts. This truck was used for offroading and some hauling, I know its not the same as a 5 ton, but that was my experience. And yes, this site and the people are great, wish more of them were in my neck of the woods. Any more tips about those trucks?

loslobos11

Well just thought I would type a quick review of my experience so far in dealing with schotts, as I am a firm believer in trying to learn from others. I ended up at schotts on wednesday after a borderline brush off on the phone, however I was pretty determined to go check out the inventory so someone(not using names here) agreed to meet me at the depot. I was probably less then 15 minutes away when the same person called me back and said he would not be able to make it to meet me but there would be people there, gate open, etc. Fine, now I can pretty much wander around and really check things out. From what I could see on the trucks they had, most needed some work, the bulk of it cosmetic. I was looking for a hardtop with a winch, but found some pretty decent soft tops with winches. I did call the guy back to ask about the trucks, since most of the trucks are usmc I asked if they all had Detroit lockers or if he had any that didnt, his response..."No, no they all have the Cummins in them." Hmmmmmm....ok. So I left and resolved to come back when I decide to actually buy one with someone who has worked on those trucks before. Possibly next week..........we will see. I will post some pics hopefully soon of some of schotts stuff.........

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOSLOBOS11, I think you are going to find that all of the USMC M813A1s have lockers...unless someone took them out...at least that has been my experience (I have owned several and inspected probably 25 or more). Joe (GIJOECZAR) has way more hours in the M809s than I do, but I do have some experience with them having owned three M813A1s and one M817. All but one M813A1 had lockers in them. I drove them long distances on pavement and had them for thousands of miles and never had a problem. Just as with you, my trucks were and are for pleasure and get started and run a few times a month. Personally, I like the locker-equipped trucks. I would not hesitate to put lockers in one of my trucks, nor would I hesitate to purchase a truck with lockers. With all this said, I would bet that Joe is right.

One bit of advice on buying: I have owned many trucks over the years, and I have found that it is always better to buy a clean truck, rather than to fix one up. I have never come out ahead by taking on a truck that needed work. The only exception to this is when I have purchased a rare truck (e.g., M925A2) that needed serious work...but the M925A2 that I got was cherry. If I had bought that truck finished as it is now, or bid on it as it sits, we'd all be talking about how some guy (not me) bid $25K for my truck. Buy clean...even if the truck is missing some of the stuff that you want like a winch or hard top...you can always install these later. Just factor that into your budget.

Good luck!

Towerguy1

If you dont see what you want there, there where some for sale recently in the "uncle henerys" here in Maine. Also If you see anything you like acrossed the road from Schotts, there are dumps and wreckers that I have contact info for there.

Ask Schotts how much the HEMMT is !!!

loslobos11

Bruce and Towerguy1,
I did see several nice trucks that I have my eye on, 2 soft tops and one hard top, the mileage on those three were all around 12k miles, around 2k hours on the trucks, mostly missing cometic stuff, passenger seats/ a mirror and some surface rust. Havent heard them run yet, was assured they were all startable and I believe(dont quote me here) the price on these would be around 7k. As for the HEMMT, yeah I did look at it :twisted: and I liked it. However it needed a fair amount of body work if I remember correctly, also there was another body there and a seperate cab on the back, possibly there might be another one put together soon.....or they are just parts, they were also in rough shape. I will ask the price though............Towerguy1, where are you located??? I am in midcoast area........

Towerguy1

Im between Bangor and Newport. If you go again let me know, Id like to get a look in there. Also the guy acrossed the street from Schotts might sell some parts. The building is FULL of parts trucks 2.5 and 5 ton. Most are older than what you might be looking for but many parts are interchangeable.

Towerguy1

Schotts is a good place BUT....... It is not his primary buisness, and he doesen't like tire kickers. If you have money and are serious, he will work with you. He doesn't sell parts, he uses them for repairs or to fix the sale trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks