• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

50 Amp RV panel permanently mounted to generator trailer

Dock Rocker

Has anyone permanently wired in and mounted an RV panel like this to their generator trailer?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A8FQUY...t=&hvlocphy=9013886&hvtargid=pla-319132207842

I want to be able to pull my trailer mounted mep-003 to the house when we lose power, plug in and go. I already have the manual disconnect setup in place on the house as I am using a smaller genset now. This will also make it easy to take to others in need and have an easy hookup.

If anyone has any pictures of their portable setups please show them. I would appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's distribution ammo can I built for my buddy's 802. 30amp 120v RV plug. 240v 50amp welding receptical(h,h,gnd), 240v 50 amp 4pin plug(h,h,n,gnd) and 120v standard outlet. Been compiling parts to build a 3 phase box with din rail mounted mini breakers for use with my 803 or GETT unit.

IMG_2990.jpgIMG_2994.jpgIMG_2995.jpgIMG_2991.jpgIMG_2997.jpgIMG_2998.jpgIMG_2989.jpgIMG_3004.jpg

Last edited:

Dock Rocker

The panels come in many shapes and sizes.

They range from field fabricated to commercially built

The commercially built ones are know as spider boxes

http://images.hardwaresales.com/med...ab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/0/1/019703r02i.jpg

Do you have a transfer switch for the house?

Be safe and if you do not understand electricity hire an electrician

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I do have a manual transfer switch. When we built the house we built it with generator power in mind. Katrina taught is that lesson.

Like I said I am looking to mount something to my trailer to give me options. I wanted to see what others have done rather than re-inventing the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

csheath

The generator has protection built in and so should the house or anything else you connect to it. If all you need is a single 50 amp source I would just put the RV power outlet on it. If you think you need one of three different choices then the panel you show would work for that. I don't think the generator can handle ALL three so you could use the breakers as switches. I used a 100A panel with breakers to switch loads on my homemade load bank but I just put the $33 outlet on the generator.

IMG_1373.JPG

quickfarms

On this piece of equipment I just drilled a hole in the side of the panel added the outlet and wired it to the main buss that is protected by the main breaker

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are right about and 802 not being to handle all the plugs at once. the 30amp RV and and 20 amp 120 simply because I had put them on separate phases. It would probably work with them on same phase but it will be close. I just wanted to give box most flexibility. I try and warn people about just taking for granted the circuit protection on the generator itself. It will provide protection, but only if cable is sized correctly. If someone were to run #12 into gens bus then load with 30-40amps then wire will go up in smoke before protection can trip on overload, as generator is not overloaded, your cable is. You will trip on fault and likely have some nice arcing going on prior to trip. So everyone needs to ensure cable size correct for max output of gen not of what load you expect. The ammo box I built was using bus out of 100amp distribution panel. Please don't use cable smaller than #6 copper. You could get by with #8 90degree C but better to just upsize as and 802 can put out 52 amp on single phase 120vac.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are right about and 802 not being to handle all the plugs at once. the 30amp RV and and 20 amp 120 simply because I had put them on separate phases. It would probably work with them on same phase but it will be close. I just wanted to give box most flexibility. I try and warn people about just taking for granted the circuit protection on the generator itself. It will provide protection, but only if cable is sized correctly. If someone were to run #12 into gens bus then load with 30-40amps then wire will go up in smoke before protection can trip on overload, as generator is not overloaded, your cable is. You will trip on fault and likely have some nice arcing going on prior to trip. So everyone needs to ensure cable size correct for max output of gen not of what load you expect. The ammo box I built was using bus out of 100amp distribution panel. Please don't use cable smaller than #6 copper. You could get by with #8 90degree C but better to just upsize as and 802 can put out 52 amp on single phase 120vac.
Yep. By code you have to run the appropriate wire size per the over-current protection device on the branch circuit. If you are protected at 50a then you have to run wire rated for 50a.

Using the RV panel as a distribution panel is a workable idea. Make sure the neutral and ground are not bonded in the panel. Use the bonding strap in the generator connection panel for that purpose when running as the sole energy source (in a field running power tools). What way its easy to remove when you use the generator for a power source to a system that already has a neutral/ground bond.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks