• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

500 miles in a M931A1

Smokinyoda

Want to start off by saying a big Thank You to bobr2004 and Scar59!!! They both made this trip much easier on me. :beer:

Won a M931A1 out of Indy and finally made the 1000 mile round trip to get it this weekend. Bob (bobr2004) had picked it up from GL, inspected it, and stored it until I could get a weekend off to get up there. Its a good feeling when you know the truck your driving 500 miles to get is a runner. It had 179 miles and 35 hours on the clock, but speedo was not working. This is the cleanest MV I have ever owned, looks like it came right out of rebuild. And aside from the speedo, everything worked great. Truck starts right up and drives out good. Even the batteries were fully charged. Rides a lot rougher than my M923 did but I expected that with the short wheelbase, as my M818 was the same. Plan to pull the 5th wheel and put a shortened deuce bed on it, when I find one. Kinda like rrr did. Should help smooth things out a little. Then still need to replace the missing stack and spare tire davit.

Was a good trip but not entirely uneventful. 150 miles down the road I developed a PS leak. Tightened up a loose line, filled up the reservoir and I was back on the road. 200 miles later my wife starts flashing her headlights so I pull off. Seems like I blew an oil seal on my back axle, even though I checked all axle vents at the start of the trip. Enough blew back onto my wifes windshield that she noticed, otherwise no telling how far I would have gone and how much damage would have been done before noticing. Tightened up the 10 hub bolts, checked fluid level, and limped the 150 miles home. Made frequent stops to check for further leakage and monitor temps. Temp never exceeded 135 so maybe not all the bearing grease was washed out by the oil leak. Hoping just a bearing repack and oil seal replacement is all it will need.

Other than that the trip was a success! Like to also thank caliber1, who's locking door handle I put on the truck allowed me to sleep knowing my truck was safe from prowlers on the motel parking lot. And last but not least I need to thank my wife, who gave up her weekend to follow me home at 50 miles an hour for 500 miles!

First picture is of Bob at his lot in Indy. He was doing the windows when we arrived.[thumbzup] Anyone needing an inspection, preview, pickup, or storage at the Indy GL lot give him a shout. He is less than 5 miles away, does great work, with very reasonable rates.

Attachments

tobyS

I won one in indy too, but had it trailered home as a haul-back on a low boy. Since it was jumped he left it idle all the way (100 mi) home and batteries are now fully charged.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you are never going to convert it back to a tractor you might consider putting a lighter spring pack in. Otherwise it is always going to ride like a bob tailed tractor unless you put a few thousand pounds of weight in the bed.

Smokinyoda

If you are never going to convert it back to a tractor you might consider putting a lighter spring pack in. Otherwise it is always going to ride like a bob tailed tractor unless you put a few thousand pounds of weight in the bed.
Thanks but the stock ride doesn't bother me. Just amazed at what an an extra few feet of length does to soften things up.

Waiting for it to dry up to check date codes on drivetrain, but all the tires were made 30-40th week of 08. Everything about this truck looks new. Even has plastic sheeting over most of the metal data plates. Even has a new steering wheel, instead of the cracked ones I usually see. Tires look new, spare is new. But I cannot find a rebuild tag anywhere! Just 6 MWO tags typically found on the door frame. And the data plate has no contract date which means its probably a rebuild correct? All I can figure is someone removed them. There are extra holes in the dash about the right size and location to mount a plate. Sucks because I would like to know when/where it was rebuilt. Will give the info to carnac, maybe he can find something out.

Oh and after reading up I was wrong about the oil seal. For some reason I was thinking there was an oil seal on the axle, lack of sleep I guess. So my axle flange just came loose and started leaking. Hopefully never made it up to the bearings. I will take it off, apply new rtv and lockwashers, then re-torque and continue to keep an eye on temps.

Attachments

Last edited:

jw4x4

Your truck looks to be in excellent shape. The idea of removing the 5th wheel plate and installing a bed has become a very popular mod. I really like the idea myself. Enjoy the ride and keep us posted.

Smokinyoda

Your truck looks to be in excellent shape. The idea of removing the 5th wheel plate and installing a bed has become a very popular mod. I really like the idea myself. Enjoy the ride and keep us posted.
Thanks, I think I read where you did the bed conversion as well. Any tips and pictures of your attachment points would be much appreciated! I still haven't found a donor bed in my area but as soon as I do I will be doing this mod.

Smokinyoda

Huh, 500 miles? Amature. (LOL)

Nice looking truck.
Yea yea, I know 500 miles ain't nothing to you "pros" lol. But my rear end was definitely ready to get out of that seat when we finally made it home. Much better ride though than the 650 mile trip I made in a deuce from Ft Jackson SC to West TN. No comparison, think I'm sold on these newer 5 tons. As long as the tranny holds up. Seems to be the weak link on this series. Really wish it had a 5 speed....

ryan77

A deuce with the old non springer seat is a real treat on a 700 miles trip! Felt like i was hit with a baseball bat the next morning!!

jdknech

a friend of mine seen you on I65 and thought it was me... untill he noticed that yours has a soft top, and mine is a hard top... he said it was a very good looking truck..

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yoda,
Read the posts, glad you made it. Still waiting word on my engine issue. Have fun w/ your new unit.
JC