• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

50k for a HEMMT

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HEMTTs are 8 wheels, PLS's (which are NOT part of the HEMTT family) are 10 wheel drive.

LVS are the 4 wheel powered tractors that hook to the various cargo bodies.

VMI_Keydet_2010

I can't claim to know that much about the HEMMTs but there sure looks like there is a drive shaft running to the rear set of axles. Is it still an LVS or does that make it an HEMMT?

Nonotagain

I can't claim to know that much about the HEMMTs but there sure looks like there is a drive shaft running to the rear set of axles. Is it still an LVS or does that make it an HEMMT?
All of the LVS and LVSR (newest version) tractors provide power to the rear uints so that they are drive units for traction.

If you do a search for MK17 or MK48 units of which one is listed in the classified section you will see the drive shaft assemblies.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The LVS trailers are powered by a drive shaft.

Here is a an easy one to remember. PLS's and HEMTTs are Army trucks, LVS's (also known as MK-48's) are USMC trucks.

Another little fact. It's HEMTT, not HEMMT... HEavy Mobility Tactical Truck

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another little fact. It's HEMTT, not HEMMT... HEavy Mobility Tactical Truck
Yeah, I remember when MVM got the acronym wrong on the cover page a while back. I was arguing with my mail at the mailboxes, and some neighbors looked at me funny. I'm picky, I guess. And I argue with the covers of my mail.

halftrack

Main difference is that a LVS can articulate in the center while an Army HEMTT cannot. The most common variant we use is the tractor version. Marines do not have (as of yet I believe) a HET, instead we use the tractor version of the LVS with the M870 lowboy trailer.

Attachments

Last edited:

jimbo*

Main difference is that a LVS can articulate in the center while an Army HEMTT cannot. The most common variant we use is the tractor version. Marines do not have (as of yet I believe) a HET, instead we use the tractor version of the LVS with the M870 lowboy trailer.

Ok, this brings up a question I have wondered about;
Is the articulation optional, or is it a permenant feature of the LVS?
I mean, don't the LVS front axles turn the same amount as a HEMTT, or is the articulation necessary for turning.
Or is the articulation there to make the LVS more manuverable?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
looking at pic #7 , it looks like the LVS steers like a standard truck with the rear following on turns in a new tighter track, if it articulated, the fronts and rears would track in the same track

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks