• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

50wt in the Transmission

Jake0147

I've been wondering on that too... The trucks at work use it with greatly extended service life, but they're all ball bearings, not a bushing in them, so I dunno... I guess my interest is more in availability than in performance. I searched a long time ago and found a couple of respectable members in agreement that Spicer would have called out 50 weight, but "allowed" the use of gear oil to minimize the number of fluids required to keep on hand. They go forever with "old fasioned" TM recommended GL-1 in them and I can't ask for more than that, so I've got to be pretty convinced with something more than a fuel mileage gain before I consider switching.

jatonka

Spicer transmissions of the 50s, 60s, and 70s always specked 50 wt motor oil. While working in Alaska on the pipeline, we used all the way down to 10wt motor oil in cold weather. It has to be your call, it's your rig. JT out

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks