• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

53 M37 dodge Turbo

timmmaaa06

Hi I was given a turbocharger and was wondering about the posibility of puting it on my M37 Dodge 53 I am not looking for tons of boost or damagin the engine but to increase a bit and to do something with the turbo. also what would be the best way of doing it thankyou.

Tanner

What condition is the 230 in currently that makes you believe that you need more oomph?

I'd save your time and effort & not even attempt the install. The turbo may not have the proper A/R ratio to be of any benefit, and the flathead Dodge 230 is not really optimized for adding on a turbo. The turbo you possess may have airflow requirements to spool it up that may be greater than the old Dodge can muster... considerations would also have to be made to determine if the setup would be a draw-through carbureted system - which would require a turbo with seals that can accommodate gas ingestion - or a blow-through system - which requires pressurizing the carburetor. THEN you get into jetting the beast... and plumbing it in for exhaust & intake piping. Adding an oil feed and return line... then looking at adding in water cooling plumbing to the turbo center housing if it has a watercooled bearing...

I'd take a pass on trying to swap it to the Dodge... save your time and frustration.

'Tanner'

Last edited:

Whitey

Tanner is dead on. Flatheads and turbos don't go together. I believe there is/was a M37 with a Cummins for sale in the classifieds. That's about the only conversion I've seen around.

-Whitey

MIKE2A6X2

I was refering and agreeing to Tanner's first reply. You can put a turbo on anything you want but if you dont have the right setup then whats the point

Tanner

what lubes the bearing in the turbo if water is there ? what vehicle exactly has water cooled turbo bearing please.
The water/oil cooled turbos have been installed on a whole SLEW of cars/trucks since the Eighties...

Pontiac Sunbird/J2000/Buick Skyhawk
Various SAAB's... (R.I.P.)
Chrysler 2.2/2.5 engine equipped cars/minivans
Volkswagen/Audi cars with 1.8T/2.7T engines
etc... etc... etc...

'Tanner'

98taco3

One thing to take into account with going this route is if the engines internals can handle the added stress of forced induction. The 230 has a long stroke with some fairly unsubstantial connecting rods. Adding a forced induction system to any engine increases the stress the bottom end sees significantly. Id want to say that the 230 would not be a happy camper boosted, seems to me to be a fast way to ventilating the engine block!

Tanner

One thing to take into account with going this route is if the engines internals can handle the added stress of forced induction. The 230 has a long stroke with some fairly unsubstantial connecting rods. Adding a forced induction system to any engine increases the stress the bottom end sees significantly. Id want to say that the 230 would not be a happy camper boosted, seems to me to be a fast way to ventilating the engine block!
...yep. We crossed that trail in note #2 & #3! :beer::beer:

bryan

timmmaaa06

Hello today I drove my 53 M37 and going from 1st to 2nd the inside of my trans exploded
not sure yet of the details of the inside but it the stick is really loose and nothing is working inside. I want to ask of my options in the invent of having to ether get a new trans all together or get new gears. does anyone know a good place to find one or parts. also is there a chance I can find something with sync gears or 5 speed just some ideas now I have a dead trans.
p.s. where can I create ether a new post or something I feel I keep posting in the wrong spot.