• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

53"s on my 818 w/w

PaFarmer

After seeing several 5 tons with big tires, Powerhouse Deuce's in particular, in action at Rausch Creek, I got an 818 last October. Last month I went to Kublos in northern PA and got some 53" tires and a set of 5 ton rims that had worn 14x20 Goodyears mounted on them. Ken was very good to deal with and I recommend him highly. While I was there I got a cargo cover for my deuce, a top hardware kit for another deuce and a bunch of 37" tires mounted on beadlock rims for a future project.

Breaking down the rims was the worst part of the job. Nothing I read online prepared me for the strain and cussing that I engaged in getting the dam rims apart. Like other things in life, sometimes a lot of lube makes things go easier. First, my impact guns were very slow in removing the bolts from the rims. I did not use enough lube on the first three rims. I spent 2-3 hours fighting to get the first tire off the rim. I had a hard time getting the locking bead off. I beat prybars between the tire and rim and used a 50/50 dish soap and water mix, while I was working. There was a good bit of rust and dirt between the rim halves. Between the bead and the rust/dirt, it was a lot of work. I was really regretting getting into the project. The next two rims went about the same. I credit the lube for having the last three go much easier, it was about an hour to break all three of them down. I lubed them over a two day period, front and back. I went and got some plastic wedges that the loggers use. I got a pry bar in between the rim and tire, then hammered the wedges in around the rim and then drove one of them around the rim and the front half of the rims came off relatively easy.

To remove the beadlock, I chained the tire to my 818 and a strap around the beadlock and then to my Cherokee and drove away, the beadlocks came out very easy.

I cleaned the rims with the help of my wife and kids and then started putting things back together. Getting the beadlocks into the 16x20 tires was a bear. I did as other suggested, I put a rachet strap around the beadlock to make it oval. I used spreader clamps to expand the tire beads and got one end of the beadlock in the tire, that was the majority of the battle.

After all my prior efforts, the tires were relatively easy to mount on the rims. I stood the tires us. Used lots of lube. Used new o-rings. Inserted the main rim. Used a wood block and two pound hammer to get the rim inserted well. The front rings went on far enough to start the nuts and the impact gun finshed them off.

I have not got the tires on the truck, but I took some pics of the tires ready to go and got ideas about a jeep on 53"s.

The last pic shows the 105 bed on my 818, but I will be removing it and building a flat bed between the tires and maybe fenders at a later date. The 105 bed looks to small and will be mounted too high.

Attachments

dozer1

I only ask, because I was wondering if you were aware of the rubbing issue with them when you steer to either extreme. It is not something that you cannot overcome, but it does occur.

PaFarmer

I am aware that there are issue with any rim you choose. I have not seen for myself where the tires will contact, but I have seen them work well off road without any problems in some situations were the suspension was pretty well articlated.

I do not expect it to have a tight turning radius anyway. I have used leaf springs and lower links on other vehicles as "steering stops" so I expect I will learn to live with it.

There are other rims, but each seems to have certain issues, like needing longer wheel studs or other"workarounds".

The price was $125 per tire for the 53"s and $95 per rim and worn/damaged 14x20s. The rims would have been worth more to me if they did not have a worn/damaged tires that I needed to remove, but Kublos had a bunch of other things I wanted and it was a 5 hour round trip, so I had a nice day picking the stuff up.

PaFarmer

I'm in Berks County. I did not see Hemmtt rims at Kublos when I was there. I had read about folks installing longer studs or other modifications. Your truck looks good. I have had tire envy for a few years. This had better cure it, as the next step is 66" Ag tires.

Vintage iron

I also bought my tires from Kublos Surplus. 8 1400's with combat wheels and 8 new 1600 R20 Michelin XZL's. I took the tires off the combat rims and sold them. Sandblasted and painted the rims, then put on the 1600's. they are great! but I had to use bridge truck rear tire spacers to keep the front tires from rubbing my steering arm!

On a side note, if you are under 5' 10" tall you may need to add a step, to get in your truck! rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks