• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

55 gallon drum pickup tube

csheath

I did a thread on the inexpensive diesel fuel pump I purchased.

I needed a little more reach on the hose and the limber pickup hose it came with was a pain so I made a pickup tube for my drums. A 2" pipe thread will screw right in the metal drum hole so I used a 2" NPT thread to slip fit coupling and reduced it with a 2" to 3/4" slip fit reducer. I used a round file to remove the lip in the 3/4" part and to take the taper out so a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe would slide through that part. The outside diameter on 3/4" PVC pipe is a little over 1" so the diesel hose will fit over it. I cut a short piece off the hose to fit the inlet fitting that came with the pump kit to the bottom and set the depth to be a couple of inches off the bottom of the drum. This will work great for topping up my tractor tanks as I use the fuel off. Having the pickup off the bottom will protect from picking up water if I get any condensation. I will periodically check for water by pumping directly off the bottom with a fuel pump I have setup with a metal tube on it. I vented the drums with a filtered air compressor muffler screwed into the 3/4" vent hole in them. Some will argue this will cause condensation to form but I have seen drums distort from expansion and contraction due to weather changes. I prefer to keep the drums vented and I will monitor for water in the fuel.

PU-tube1.jpg

PU-tube2.jpg

I just used it to top off my John Deere and generator tank and it works great. The extra reach should help me get the hose outside the shed to fill my backhoe as well.

csheath

I'm on my 3rd fill of these drums and wanted to check a couple of things. First I wanted to make sure there was no water accumulation and second I wanted to see how much space I had in the bottom if it did get water in it. I was filling my backhoe and got to the bottom of the pickup tube so I had to change it over to the other drum. I have a small 12v pump similar to the MEP fuel pump that I use to transfer fuel and oil when needed. It has a hose connected to a long piece of stainless tube so I can suck right off the bottom if I want. I tipped the drum I emptied and put a board under one side then pumped the remaining fuel into a 5 gallon can. Turns out I have NO water accumulation and the length of the pickup tube I made leaves exactly 5 gallons in the bottom of the drums.

The drums are working great for me and leaving them vented doesn't seem to cause much if any condensation accumulation. I have a small air compressor muffler with a paper filter screwed into the vent hole on both drums. This prevents drum damage from expansion and contraction caused by temperature change or fuel removal.

Each time I have the drums filled I put 8 ounces of Stanadyne Luubricity formula and 1 ounce of Killum Biocide in each drum.

csheath

Nice set up - do you have any pics of the vents?
This was another one of those across the pond purchases off that auction site. I paid $5.14 for two. They were advertised as 3/4" but were actually 1/2" NPT. I used a PVC 1/2" to 3/4" bushing to screw them into the drum vent holes.

vent-filter2.jpg vent-filter.jpg

csheath

An alternative would be to use a desiccant breather to help keep moisture from getting into a drum.
That would be ideal but a bit pricey. Glad I'm not having a water problem so far. I think I will continue to monitor.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too made a electric pump system for pulling diesel out of my 55 gal drums.
I put a fuel filter/water separator in line to catch any debris or water.
Also put 1/4 valves on the inlet and outlet ports to prevent it from back flushing the filter when draining the pickup tube back into the drum.
Filter is similar to this...
61gEiIzx0nL._SX554_.jpg
Yes - the desiccant breathers are pricey!

csheath

Nice work! Love the added stencil! Have you considered plumbing them direct to your aux fuel port on the -803A?
When I expect a long term outage I install the bung adapter and hose to the auxiliary fuel connection on the generator. I use the fuel more often in my tractors so I leave this pipe in one drum.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What am I doing wrong...My bung adapters on both my 003's will not fit in my tank's 2" npt hole. The tank is 275 gals. and a 2" pipe will screw down in the hole. Can't get that adapter to push in there and yes I flipped the lock lever.

Thanks Guys,

Last edited:

csheath

It should go in with the lock lever down. How far off is it from fitting?

Last edited:

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I can't say exactly, but far enough that I don't think forcing it will work. I wasn't sure if there was a trick to seating it.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I expect a long term outage I install the bung adapter and hose to the auxiliary fuel connection on the generator. I use the fuel more often in my tractors so I leave this pipe in one drum.
So you just conect to auxiliary fuel port/ hose and your good to go? I like to give this a try on my 803.
Thank you,

csheath

So you just conect to auxiliary fuel port/ hose and your good to go? I like to give this a try on my 803.
Thank you,
The bung adapter will have to have a tube screwed into the bottom that is submerged in fuel.
fuel-drums.jpg

You need to monitor and make sure the tank float shuts the auxiliary pump off when it gets full. Pump the tank down until the auxiliary pump will run and connect to the external fuel supply. It should refill the tank and shut the auxiliary pump off so the tank doesn't over flow. I have never had a problem with mine but I have read where others have.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks