• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

55-mph

TGP (IL)

No Howard.
If I remember(not likely) but the governor on the 6.2 cuts out at 64mph? Somewhere around there.
Have a Safe Trip!
Tom

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What model truck?

Sergeant1983

I have a M1009 and daily drive it at 45 MPH. Seems happy at that speed. I do 60 when on on the expressway. I have taken it up to 85, but its milage and stability goes south.

When I was in the Army the M1008 would be screaming at 55, like all the tactical vehicles. We normally convoyed at 45 MPH on civilian roads.

jimwbiz

Can you put the 37"" hummer tires on these trucks, or do they have to be lifted?? Just bought one of these, wasn't sure how big of a tire I could put on. Don't wanna lift it..

Thanks for any help..

jimwbiz

The gears in the blazers aren't as low as what is in the pickups. 4.56 in the pickups, cant remember what the blazers are. I know 55mph is about it in the trucks, really screaming if
you go any faster!! Ive seen bigger tires on these pickups tat weren't lifted, but not sure if they are the 36" or 37" hummer tires. Anyone know if you can put these tall tires on without
lifting the truck????

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you put the 37"" hummer tires on these trucks, or do they have to be lifted?? Just bought one of these, wasn't sure how big of a tire I could put on. Don't wanna lift it..

Thanks for any help..
There is a great feature on every page in the upper right hand corner called Search , typing in " HMMWV tires on a M1008" brought this up as the first thread Any one running hmmwv tires on there m1008 post #3 will give you plenty of reading on the subject.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It will do that, but just know that due to the gears (4.56) you're gonna be turning ~2900rpm at 55mph.

scottladdy

It will do that, but just know that due to the gears (4.56) you're gonna be turning ~2900rpm at 55mph.
And really close to redline at 65 MPH, at about 3400 RPM with stock sized tires.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

I have installed 33's on my M1008A1 and added a Gear Vendors overdrive ($$) which brings the effective final drive ratio down to about 3.55 equivalent. Incredibly driveable with this addition.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At 55 with stock tires you are looking at 2806 rpm. 3061 at 60mph. Run both of mine at around 60mph.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the Grimm Jeeper online gear calculator. Some report it's not always accurate. With stock 31" tires at 2500 RPM you are at 71 MPH. 3000= 85 MPH and 3500 would be 99 MPH.
Same conditions in a pickup truck with stock gears and tires would be 49, 59 and 69 MPH. Now, take the pickup and add the 700R4 and your speeds for the respective RPMs would be 74, 89 and 104 MPH.

The 700R4 takes the driveability of the truck right to where the blazer is!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks