• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

55Mph Detonation. . .

stumps

I look at it this way: If you have a piece of steel on your anvil, and you use a little 1 oz toy hammer, you could hit it forever and never cause it any real harm. Hit it with a 4 oz hammer, and maybe you could go a week or a month before it is deformed too much to use. Hit with your 8 oz hammer, and maybe several hours... Hit it with a maul, and it will be done in one or two whacks.

The parts in your engine are the same: At idle, the forces your rods and bearings are subject to are well within the range where they could take it forever. At 2000rpm, the forces are much higher, but not so high that they will damage the engine before 500,000 miles, or so. At 2600rpm, the hammer is hitting the anvil pretty hard, and you may have hours before the parts give way.

Your call, your choice.

-Chuck

Last edited:

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Food for thought. As bad as over-revving a Multi fuel is, Lugging one is very bad also. It will really stress the rod bolts and wrist-pins(pistons too).
Great point. It also wears rod bearings because the load is high and the oil pressure is low. Heavy contact can spin the bearing, then oil flow is cut off, the bearing gets loose, knocking starts, then constant impacts put a lot of stress on related parts.

littlebob

Did anybody post anything about ether starting and the stress it can cause? I didn't see any, but saw what I thought was a ether start bottle on the firewall. We'll never know how many of them were started that way in a previous life, but could that be a factor?

stumps

Ether starting is a problem if you use too much ether, or you use ether at too high of a temperature. The ether injection attachment for the MF engine in the deuce is designed to give you a fixed size charge, and to prevent you from using ether if the temperature is too high (above 35F). I doubt that it would harm the engine as long as you didn't attempt to subvert its protection mechanisms by giving multiple charges, or disabling the high temperature exclusion interlock.

-Chuck

dittle

Chuck is right about the ether system. The one that is in there has a whole bunch of safeguards to prevent ether abuse/engine damage. With 18 year olds driving these who have never seen what ether would do to an engine it was a good idea.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a manager over rebuilds at MCLB Albany, I can honestly say, torque wrench's are calibrated to a schedule, bolts are of the highest quality and trend analysis of failure's are tracked extensively. If there is a problem, we notice it quickly and I know of a few rebuilt trucks that slipped out, were almost shipped and came right back for another frame down rebuild to make sure we did everything possible to support the Warfighter. I can't speak to all of DOD or for how things were run in the 80's when these trucks run through TEAD but I doubt it was any different back in the day.
My National Guard experience has been that if a truck needed a motor, it recieved an LDS 465 as they have more power, could run 2600 rpm all day, and pull the load at at least 55 mph. More or less the same prime mover but could handle the stress of moving trucks across state. Of course, we still have alot of LDT 465 powered trucks getting the job done.

Test the bolts!!!

WO1

Formerly SSG

Carson

Army Strong!!!!v
Ditto on tight Maint Reg.