• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

57th Fighter Group Restaurant

TMNT

My son and I took Big Betty from home near Canton, GA to The 57th Fighter Group Restaurant for breakfast this morning. It's only about 45 miles for us, but it was a pretty good trip. Betty did great with no problems except for the ongoing wiper problems. I'm hoping to work on that later today.

We got lots of salutes, waves, and thumbs-up signs and even a couple of "awesomes" yelled out. One guy in a F-250 kept pace with us for a while and he kept waving and yelling out "cool!"

Anyway, if you're in the Atlanta area and you haven't been to the 57th Fighter Group Restaurant, you should go. Michael and I like going for brunch on Sunday mornings. It's a bit on the upscale side (think officer's club instead of mess hall), but the setting is interesting and the food is great.

I would really like to organize a group of MV's to go there one Sunday morning. I think it would be great! Let me know if you're interested in meeting there. Brunch is about $20 each, but it's some really good stuff. Custom made belgian waffles, carving bar, custom omlets, and a host of other stuff like shrimp, fruits, veggies and the service is impeccible.

Blue jeans and casual wear is OK, but I usually wear khakis and a long sleeve shirt.

Attachments

Last edited:

FrankUSMC

Thanks to that restaurant is how I got my first WC54 ambulance completed back in the 1980s. The dealer who sold the military trucks to the restaurant would strip them of parts, because all the restaurant wanted was a display vehicle. My WC54 was completely stripped inside. This guy had every thing I needed.
I went to the one in Memphis,TN back in 1983. At that time, the B17 Memphis Belle was sitting outside not far from the restaurant. Great meal, and I got to check out the Belle, she was looking very sad setting outside.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

DieselBob

Great that you and your son spend time like that. You only have one chance to make memories that last a lifetime. Thanks for posting the pic's. Anyone that thinks the deuce has a strange shift pattern needs to look at the pic you have. I wouldn't stand a chance with that. :shock:

zout

WOW - I just posted something and it made like 10 pages out of the post - so I deleted it.

Sounds like a great plan and showed Zout 2 - also looked up the restaurant and looks like a great place.

Will have to run the ole 109 up - but it is doable - it will have to be after the 2nd week in Feb and then on a SUn is fine.

Work er out and lets make plans

TMNT

The weather should be nicer in mid-March than in February. How does March 11 or 18 sound? If we can settle on one of those dates, I'll let the manager know what we have in mind. We need to develop a head count so post here if you're interested.

sail-bum

Count me in, good exercise for my truck. I haven't been there in years, we used to go there after work at least once every 2 weeks, always good.

TMNT

Great that you and your son spend time like that. You only have one chance to make memories that last a lifetime. Thanks for posting the pic's. Anyone that thinks the deuce has a strange shift pattern needs to look at the pic you have. I wouldn't stand a chance with that. :shock:
Yeah that shift pattern is crazy. Obviously its a German vehicle. I'm not at all familiar with it. I would have trouble with that one too. I have never encountered that shift pattern before, especially that first/ second shift!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'm in.

They have had those CCKW's since I was your son's age.

I see you have a chock in one of the pics-are you just being a careful operator or is the parking brake still being problematic?

TMNT

I'm in.

They have had those CCKW's since I was your son's age.

I see you have a chock in one of the pics-are you just being a careful operator or is the parking brake still being problematic?
Hey Clinto! The parking brake is perfect. There's a bit of slope there where I parked so I was just being careful. I didn't want to ruin a great Sunday by letting Betty eat someone's Mercedes for breakfast.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
WOW - Sounds like a great plan and showed Zout 2 - also looked up the restaurant and looks like a great place.

Will have to run the ole 109 up - but it is doable - it will have to be after the 2nd week in Feb and then on a SUn is fine.

Work er out and lets make plans
Looks like about 130 miles for me but I might be game if Zout and Z2 are going plus clinto.

Might bring Proud American up if we can work it when we can make it.:beer:

CycleJay

Hi Guys,

That is a great idea. I may be able to attend to, just not sure if I can afford it.
But since that place is not more then a block away from where I work,
I can walk there from work. LOL..

And when I walk to work in the morning after getting off the marta train,
I have to walk past there to get to work.

Good night,

CJ

TMNT

Here's the plan:

WHERE:

57th Fighter Group Restaurant
3829 Clairmont Road Atlanta, GA 30341
(770) 234-0057
www.the57threstaurant.com

WHEN:
1000 March 11 , 2012

In the event of bad weather on the 11th, we'll bump it out one week:
1000 March 18, 2012

WHY:
Breakfast/Brunch
Meet and Greet
Drive MV's

WHO:

Definitely Comming

TMNT - M35A2 WO/W
Sail-Bum - M35A2 W/W
Clinto - M35A2
Heavysteven - Dually or Deuce
CARNAC - Deuce

Maybe Coming
Zout - M109A3
Zout2 - With Zout
Pappabear - Proud American
CycleJay - Walking?
1958 M274 - >=Jeep

Last edited:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me talk to the wife...... we may be able to drive over in the GTO or Honda for breakfast.

TMNT

For those of you planning to come out to the 57th Fighter Group in March, let me know what you will be driving. I'm interested in how many and what type of MV's will be there. I need to let the manager know how much parking lot we need if we're going to park them all together. It may also help others decide whether they are coming or not and what they will drive in. I have an interest in getting as many MV's there as possible, but I understand the cost of fuel, distance, and travel time as well.

sail-bum

As long as everything stays running right, count on one M35A2 W/W. I added the W/W in there for the extra parking room, I thought my pickup felt long!

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Oops, forgot to add we'll bring a deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks