• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5t advice before buying

skav

So I've been researching MVs for a few years and really want a 5t A2. I've narrowed it down to a 925 or 932. He are my plans for using it, and where I need help.

Right now, I pull a 34' bumper pull toy hauler to the desert 5-6 times a year with maybe 2 trips out of state. The trailer weighs 16k loaded with fuel and water. The current tow vehicle is a 2500 duramax. Honestly, it tows the trailer well, but it's working the truck. I thought would be to get a 925, or 932' loose the rails and modify a drop side bed to fit and I'd like to run 16.00s to help raise the cruising speed. Then I'd fab a 30k hitch similar to a toterhome.

Here are the questions...

1. Will this setup work well on the highway as a puller? I have been leaning towards the 932 because it would be lighter than the 925 and has a higher tow rating.
2. Can I cruise comfortably at 65-70 without over running the motor? This is where I figured that the 16.00s work help a bit over the 14.00s
3. I'd also end up playing with the motor. How much can I turn up the pump without issues? I'd be adding EGT and boost gauges.
4. What advantage if any is there to loosing one of the rear axles? What would this do to the towing capacity?
5. What options are there for AC? I've seen roof units that I'm sure I could retrofit.

Any other advice, or anything that I'm missing?

Last edited:

my76fj40

I am not the most experienced 5 ton owner her by a long shot, but what little I could tell you would be your Duramax would be better suited and more comfortable. The cummins 250 with Super Singles does OK on the flat land at 55 but is lacking pulling hills empty, hills will slow you down a bit. Empty I was getting almost 8 mpg, I doubt you would see that towing. I don't think the 8.3 does that much better in the power/tq department stock. It can be turned up but you may find the next weakest link if your working it hard in the heat. Again I am no expert on the limits of these trucks, they are a blast to drive, but I will keep my 6.7 to tow my toys.

Ford Mechanic

I was seriously thinking about towing my 32ft camper with my M923A2 but with the awful turning radius of the 5 ton all I could picture was pulling the trailer thru a ditch at a stop sign on a lane road. To clarify, the 5 ton turning on 2 lane road will be well into the inside lane. Then if you recall the trailer cuts the across the inside of the tow vehicles turn. I couldn't bring myself to pull mine. It works fine for shorter trailers because they don't cut inside your turn so much.

The tractor versions (M935?) Has a shorter wheel base so it might possibly turn tighter. Then you could swap the 5th wheel plate for a smaller or cut down bed.

Mine will run 72mph but it's very frowned upon due to the tires are only rated at 55mph and the true condition of them is unknown. I try not to go much over 62-65.

dmetalmiki

" It can be turned up but you may find the next weakest link if your working it hard in the heat. Again I am no expert on the limits of these trucks, they are a blast to drive, but I will keep my 6.7 to tow my toys. "

I agree totally with all that he said.

armytruck63

If you don't need 6X6 capability, check out the 6X4 M915. It's 400 HP baby and most have AC. The similar M916 is 6X6 and also 400 HP. There are various automatics in both trucks.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Not to pick a fight but CA has some pretty idiotic emission laws. I would do a lot of research before I bought an older military diesel for what you are proposing.
If it were any other state I'd also recommend the M915 with the 60 series Detroit as first choice and the 400 Cummins as Plan B.
Your going to need a CDL for either vehicle.
I had a fellow member from Nevada tell me that the 400 Cummins will not pass emissions which is why the M915's were selling so cheap out there.
Just my rambling thoughts for what there worth.

skav

Not to pick a fight but CA has some pretty idiotic emission laws. I would do a lot of research before I bought an older military diesel for what you are proposing.
If it were any other state I'd also recommend the M915 with the 60 series Detroit as first choice and the 400 Cummins as Plan B.
Your going to need a CDL for either vehicle.
I had a fellow member from Nevada tell me that the 400 Cummins will not pass emissions which is why the M915's were selling so cheap out there.
Just my rambling thoughts for what there worth.
Thanks Wrecker. I will look into it. I thought that if its registered as a historical vehicle it would be smog exempt. Probably wrong though be cause Kali is so jacked!