• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5th gear help

goatijoe

the fith gear in mine has snaped 2 teeth off the gear on the counter shaft. i saw that you can pull the gears off the main shaft in the truck but can you get the counter shaft out with out pulling the trans to do so. ive got the 3053a but i want to know if i put the b fith gear set will it fit if i swap the whole 5th gear out for the one that has the higher ratio than the one in the a trans i dont know if it would be possible or not if you could just upgrade it to get a few more miles faster with out spinning to fast on the motor to go down the road

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i see you are newer to the site, welcome...how many miles have you put on the truck before this happened? a little slower RPMS at road speed would be nice, but on the other hand, its big and heavy with little power... not going to go fast. i put 12,000 miles on mine in 2 years and i need all the 5th gear power i can get. if i had a bobber, it would be a different story. is it cost effective to get the gears? who knows... thats your call :p

jwaller

I put the OD in mine. come to lexington and after you drive mine you won't have it any other way.

Even if you don't drive fast, it's so much nicer to be able to run the truck at 55-60 and not be sitting on the redline.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not that difficult to pull the transmission in an M35. I would recommend going ahead and replacing the clutch, pressure plate, pilot shaft bearing, throw out bearing and rear engine seal at the same time as these parts don't cost that much and then you know exactly where you stand.