• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5th gear? In a deuce?

Cleptomaniac

Well I my 5th gear is about gone. It is whining real loud! So I found one for 300$. It seems pretty strait forward to install it. But I have never done it. So if you guys have some advice that would be great!!

Thanks
Danny

Cleptomaniac

Lol no that is the whole tranny!! I'm not game for tearing in to a tranny!!
Have thought about keeping the one I take out and putting one of those taller ODs in some day :)

jwaller

those tallers gears are the shizznit. I'd never go back. it's more than just a gear swap though. it's a upgrade for the whole transmission.

jwaller

the only special tools you might need are a bearing puller and a press. thats it. the rest is normal hand tools and a very good set of snap ring pliers.

I did mine in about 4 hours and it was my first manual trans rebuild.

Heath_h49008

I always wondered about fuel efficiency/engine longevity with these things and bigger tires. Most of these trucks being driven unloaded, those would seem to keep the engine in that 1800-2000 rpm sweet spot.

The lack of leverage could keep your foot farther in negating the advantage... but I would like to see it tested.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A tranny swap?

Klepto, get crack'in! :wink:

It's big, but doable. Search for transmission or clutch replacement threads for some ideas on how to support that slug of a transmission. There are some good ideas on how to make a cab supported lift that is sufficiently articulated for stabbing that beast.

regards,

Rick

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A tranny swap?

Klepto, get crack'in! :wink:

It's big, but doable. Search for transmission or clutch replacement threads for some ideas on how to support that slug of a transmission. There are some good ideas on how to make a cab supported lift that is sufficiently articulated for stabbing that beast.

regards,

Rick
A pipe though the front and back window and a come-a-long works great

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always wondered about fuel efficiency/engine longevity with these things and bigger tires. Most of these trucks being driven unloaded, those would seem to keep the engine in that 1800-2000 rpm sweet spot.

The lack of leverage could keep your foot farther in negating the advantage... but I would like to see it tested.
Good point and a deuce can get 10MPG with a few details done, but anyone who owns a deuce is probably interested in economy only as a statistic. I operated mine over a 4 year, 15K mile period on the highway at 2500RPM using 11.00x20 tires and it never had an issue. My goal is keeping off the redline and I happily went along at 55MPH. I turned up the machine to where it would just barely smoke and used a pyro pre-turbo to drive by. This said, the engine can produce its 300 ft-lb of torque at lower RPMs but this increases stress on some of the parts and jacks up the exhaust temperature at advanced throttle. I don't see anything wrong with 1800RPM, but 2200 would probably be a better fit for horsepower. It's more than torque that moves that beast. There are many here that know the LDT engine better than me, so this is just an opinion.

jwaller

Nice!! How much did that set cost? I haven't got a press but if I had a good excuse... :)
I don't remember exactly but they are on ebay as well as directly.

I got the 3rd set ever made and I'm loving life. you can cruise at 55 and have a nice chat with your passenger.

If you don't have a winch you should be able to have the trans out in 30-45min. it's really that easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikew

Easy enough job, doable in a day.

More-or-less:

Remove passengers seat
remove shifter
remove tunnel covers
remove trans to t-case drive shaft
disconnect clutch linkage
remove MOST bell housing cover nuts
poke a cherry picker through the passer door to support trans (overhead crane with soft top works too)
remove the rest of the bell housing nuts
slide trans back and lower to ground

reverse for installation.

Good time to do any clutch work, if required.

Check you throwout bearing. Mine works well but is very stiff, I'm sure it's gonna seize one day, and you have to pull the trans to change it!

If you're lacking space or lifting equipment, you can do it at my place.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Done a few removals and installs myself. Plans on a few hours.

I use a pipe thru the open windshield and a chain hoist to lower the transmission.

russ132

I used a four by four through the windshield and back window. I also used a chain hoist. I did use a chain to mount the hoist to the 4x4. I ran the chain through a five inch pipe and had the pipe on top of the 4X4. This allowed the chain to slide back and forth across the 4X4. Not a bad job at all but much easier with a helper when actually dismounting and mounting the transmission. I did a lot of cussing when trying it by myself. Have fun and play safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks