• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5th gear out! Im Looking for a transmision part!

72cj5

New tranny Top Plate did not work still no 5th gear.

Ok Pulled the top off the tranny ...69 m35a2...everything looked great. Looked into the top of my tranny lid and noticed what I would call a "shift gate".(part that controls the shift forks) had a small tab broken off. SO what I am looking for is a whole top cover with the shift forks so all I have to do is swap my shift lever over the the new cover and drop in. Let me know what you guys have or where I can aquire one at a reasonable price. I also have a m35a3 wiper conversion motor I may trade.( still will need linkages and wipers) I also have the complete m35a3 wiper conversion I may let go but I will need some boot. Or pay cash.

Let me know whats out there! Thanks Brandon

Last edited:

72cj5

Well the new top plate did not fix my problems still no 5th gear . It just feels like neutral when in the fith gear position. Any Ideas? Just to make this clear I purchased this deuce from a local guy. It did not have 5th to begin with "he told me that the truck was a "heavy hauler" and the military removed the fith gear shift fork" Of course I took this with a grain of salt expecting to find broken parts. If the military removed fith gear I assume there would have been a big yellow sticker on the dash saying so. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
that small tab could be keeping 5th from it going into gear, can you slide 5th gear into 5th prostion by hand, is not find the tab, you should find it know matter what, drain the oil, when draining drain though a rag or cheese cloth, see what you get out of the trans, then sence you have the top off, pour some deisel over the gears and the trans internals

bassetdeuce

When putting the top cover on, are you getting all of the forks in the grooves? I think the rearmost fork is the 4-5 shift (been a while since I looked at it). Will the corresponding gear move back and forth somewhat when you manipulate it with your hand on the actual gear?

jasonjc

With the top off take and post some pic of the inside. I bet some one will tell you real fast what is wrong. If you have 4th you should have 5th.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
first, the guy that sold it to you does not know what he is talking about. 5th shift fork is also 4th fork. if you have 4th the fork is there. does it shift to 5th position? so since you have had it, it has never had 5th?? it may have been removed because something was broken and they did not want to fix it. post a pic and i will tell you what is wrong..........

tom

Last edited:

72cj5

first, the guy that sold it to you does not know what he is talking about. 5th shift fork is also 4th fork. if you have 4th the fork is there. does it shift to 5th position? so since you have had it, it has never had 5th?? it may have been removed because something was broken and they did not want to fix it. post a pic and i will tell you what is wrong..........

tom
Since i have had the truck no 5th.......yes it does shift to the 5th position but acks like neutral. I will post pic as soon as I pull the top again. I am in no hurry For where i drive 4th is fine but it would be nice to have 5th on the highway. " i pretty much figured the guy was blowing smoke up my a$$ but the truck was a good deal for me anyway" every thing works great and runs like a top it just bothers me that 5th is out. I found a tranny local for 300$ but i will have to swap the pto over..... how bad of a headache is that?

1stDeuce

Ok, I attached a pic... The forward synchro is the 4-5 synchro... If you can shift into and out of 4th gear, then the fork is engaged with the synchro, and should be shifting the synchro into 5th as well... Note that there is a counter gear on the lower (counter) shaft, meshing with the 5th gear on the mainshaft (second one back...) Is that counter gear there? Check the dog splines between the 5th side of the synchro and 5th gear itself... Are they there?? My 5th gear dogs were worn, and it would walk out of 5th while you drove.

I suppose you could have a 5th gear spinning on the counter shaft too... I haven't had that apart, perhaps there are keys in there that have sheared?? With both synchros in the middle (N), can you hold the front gear (input gear) and turn the 5th gear?? All the gears on the counter shaft should be locked together, and hence by holding the input, none of the other gears in contact with the counter should turn.
C

Attachments

Last edited:

Phil Rhodes

have you tried just putting it in gear by hand and seeing what is not turning? My guess is the countershaft gear key is sheared. Using common sense, you can do this in the truck, just remove the floor pan and transmission cover. If the transmission is on the floor you will have to hold the input shaft (maindrive) to keep it from turning while you turn the rear flange. It should be obvious what is not turning as it should.