• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5th wheel wrecker

MilitaryRestoration

actually pictures of what they use to rest on the back ramps to the fifthwheel would be great... mine just had 'nubs' so to speak and not sure how thats supposed to rest on the back. I looked up miller on the web and found them, it's just too late to call them now so i'll have to wait till monday. Thank you for the info though, great help! Also, according to the tag it says that the motor is 12v does that seem right? why would it have a slave cable but only 12v?

tcody

MR - The rear end (round tube) of the FW25 just sits on the frame. No mounting brackets required. I will see if I can get you a pic of a mounted unit. Not sure about the slave cable. The one I had was cobbled up but had a cable with a battery cable clamp. Definitely not from the factory! I will take a look at the whole thing tomorrow. Possible the motor would tolerate 24V but sure would hate to burn it out.
T

MilitaryRestoration

hmm ya the only round tube that is on mine is for going up against the vehicle being towed... so pictures would be great it you could and hopefully tomorrow is nice weather so that i can get a couple of pictures of mine for you

tcody

MR - Here is a shot of the base of the FW25. Sorry about the pic, but it is pitch black out. You can see the tubing that forms the base that sits on the trucks frame in the foreground - similar the the earlier pictures of Rickyoday's Monarch. The main triangular structural support is welded to it. Hope this helps.
T

Attachments

MilitaryRestoration

I guess mine does have a tube there but then whats the extension pieces that hang off that on the ends...wont those be in the way? And if you notice they have the unit marked 12v on one side and 24v on the other side, however the solenoid is marked 24v... can't see any marking on the motor itself

Attachments

CGarbee

If the link works, you should see a Holmes 20 ton fifth wheel wrecker (commercial version) for sale about fifty miles from me. If anyone wants it and makes a deal, I'll be driving by the location twice in the next two weeks...
I'd be after it, but I have no tractor right now...

It's on Craigs list with an asking price of $1k
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/for/815046561.html

CGarbee

If the link works, you should see a Holmes 20 ton fifth wheel wrecker (commercial version) for sale about fifty miles from me. If anyone wants it and makes a deal, I'll be driving by the location twice in the next two weeks...
I'd be after it, but I have no tractor right now...

It's on Craigs list with an asking price of $1k
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/for/815046561.html

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here is a pic of my 5th wheel wrecker. It is a Monarch "Dyna-Boom" Model M-642. I can take more pics for anyone who needs them. BTW, does anyone have a manual for my particular model? Thanks, Rick.
I know this is an old thread. But that's exactly what I need for my SEMTT. Does anyone have any more info on these?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you guys really have to ruin my Sunday? Now you got me thinking and watering around the mouth again :drool:.

I do not need it but it would be a nice attachment and third option to my dump truck - tractor. How do these things work as to hydraulics etc. Can I run that from my dump hydraulics?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, 5th wheel wreckers aren't too complex unless you start getting into a hitch-pro or zacklift setup. However, those are awesome! In my case, I think a standard 5th wheel wrecker would work just fine though. Most of the people with the hitch-pros and likewise wheel/axle lift 5th wheel wreckers are using shorter trucks. (M915's) Those short trucks with a standard 5th wheel wrecker would lead to a lighter front end. Where those lift style wreckers help distribute the load better. My SEMTT/931 is so long already and heavier on the front end, that a standard 5th wheel wrecker actually would work better in my case.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M51A2 has a short wheelbase like the M52. I was not really thinking about doing a really wrecker conversion but was fascinated by the possibilities that set-up has. Never saw a fifth-wheel assembly as anything other than for towing trucks, but I now start seeing more options.