• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5Ton Dump super singles?

kdk48095

I am considering putting super singles on a 5ton dump. After reading a few of the posts I am confused as to which wheel or rim to use. Some wheel sellers tell me that HEMTT will work with out modification and others tell me I have to use combat wheels. I was looking at using the 16.00 r20 tires. I also read that when using this size with the combat rims the tire will rub on the front. This truck is just for off road excavation. Can anyone clarify this and also should I just consider using the 14.00 r20 instead? Thanks

91W350

I have some photos of an 817 someplace on 1600s I took my billfold and wedged it between the front and rear tandem tires, it was that close. Glen

dozer1

If you want to go with the 16.00's, the HEMTT wheels are the way to go, to avoid the front ones from rubbing when you steer. 14.00's will work fine on either HEMTT or combat wheels with no rubbing. 14.00's and combat wheels are the way my Marine Corps 817 was set up by the military. That combo looks great and keeps your gear ratio a bit lower.

dozer1

I THINK you need to put longer studs in the front. I have never done this, so maybe someone else with experience with that will come in and confirm that.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I THINK you need to put longer studs in the front. I have never done this, so maybe someone else with experience with that will come in and confirm that.
Front and rear useing the square head inner is what I do for the Hemtt's

Last edited:

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My m817 came on combat rims & 1400s I changed to 1600s and they will rub a little on turning on uneven ground but not bad should work ok. Had regular lug nuts front and rear.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea combat you are good with out useing the square. The front axle is wider than the rear. So talking with Pete today we could run Hemtt rims on the rear and combat on the front so the tires track in line better. If you run just Hemtt's all around the track is off.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has the bed been spaced for the 1400's?
If you are using it for severe off road service the 1400 and most definitely the 1600's will hit the bed during rear axle articulation. The 1100's get within 2 inches of the bed at standard install height. (This without a full load.)

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bkubu, do you mean the combat rims? Thanks
Yes, you and FLORIDIANSON are correct. There is nothing wrong with using the HEMTT rims. They tend to be more plentiful and are usually a bit cheaper...but you can find nice 1400s on the correct rims for in the range of $300-400. I have bought many from John Winslow in NC.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks