• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5ton dump truck - mud flaps

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used wide rubber belting before.

I would like to go to a quarry and buy some pieces (from the boneyard) nice thick, wide ... myself. It's on the list when the bed goes on the deuce....but would work fine on a dump.

Here is the challenge.....keeping them from hitting the tire with the bed up and moving forward....like a limited hinge. Mine have wriden up and damaged them. It's the OEM design, rigid, that seems possible to fix when rebuilding them. Like a 90* hinge, enough to let them hang, folded or not.

SpookyMulder

I've used wide rubber belting before.

I would like to go to a quarry and buy some pieces (from the boneyard) nice thick, wide ... myself. It's on the list when the bed goes on the deuce....but would work fine on a dump.

Here is the challenge.....keeping them from hitting the tire with the bed up and moving forward....like a limited hinge. Mine have wriden up and damaged them. It's the OEM design, rigid, that seems possible to fix when rebuilding them. Like a 90* hinge, enough to let them hang, folded or not.
A company named JMR offers a hinged mud flap mount. This is what I intend to go with on my truck.

There are also "Fast Flaps" which are designed to release the mud flap if it gets hung up. Reinstalling the mud flap only requires prying the mount open and reinserting the mud flap. Sounds easier than it is, IMO.

Generic replacement mud flaps are available at any truck stop, any parts store that carries Class 8 parts, and of course from manufacturers' parts departments directly.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My dump arrived here with one missing. I am contemplating using conveyor belt material which I already have.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I were doing one, I would do both, so they look fung- shui.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run wth mine folded up in half on the 929 but if I want it long, can fold down. I would consider having it shorter and going further up under the bed....just a thought. The entire wheel will get a wrap up and around on my deuce 4x4, but that's fixed, not tilting dumper.

I think the OEM has holes for the easy bend in half. Try bending your belt over and see if you can do without the holes. Some belts won't do that bend.

Thanks for the hinge photo. That could allow movement, but it seems there should be some limits. For our dumps, the hinge and straight, not folding, could be nice mod.

Lovetofix

[For our dumps, the hinge and straight, not folding, could be nice mod.[/QUOTE]

I am working on this question too for my M817. The problem I see with leaving them hanging straight all the time will be when dumping a load on a pile. The material you are dumping pins the hanging flap to the tire and continues to slide down and pile up against the flap. The weight of the dirt or gravel pushing forward can tear the flap loose before you even get the whole load dumped. With the tailgate “wings” set in the “rocker style” position this won’t be as much of a problem unless you are adding onto a previous pile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M929 mud flaps do have holes in the middle and do fold so you don't rip them off.
I have a drawing I made of mine. I'll look it up and post it.

fasttruck

Pic of 1971 M 817ww shows flaps that came with it folded up to prevent them from getting ripped off while backing into snow piles. For highway use let them down to prevent stones from being kicked up and hitting the POV that will be trying to get between the mud flap and the tire.

Attachments

Lovetofix

Pic of 1971 M 817ww shows flaps that came with it folded up to prevent them from getting ripped off while backing into snow piles. For highway use let them down to prevent stones from being kicked up and hitting the POV that will be trying to get between the mud flap and the tire.
Thank you for the picture of the original setup! My 1972 M817 came with no flaps, just little remains of the weld that used to hold the mudflap mount. I found some 36” replacements and just need to make a mount for them. Been trying to figure out if I should make it ridged or hang it on a couple chain links.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thank you for the picture of the original setup! My 1972 M817 came with no flaps, just little remains of the weld that used to hold the mudflap mount. I found some 36” replacements and just need to make a mount for them. Been trying to figure out if I should make it ridged or hang it on a couple chain links.

A couple of chain links might be pretty neat. Seems that the KEY to not losing your flaps is the "hanger" and a hole in the flap to hook it over. Funny how discussions here will teach you something if you listen and think... I noticed a hook on both mudflaps on the back of my M1088. One hook. In the center. I kept wondering what the heck it was for. Today I noticed a round hole in the bottom edge of the flap - and I just had to try it. My flap (with a little wiggling) went over the hook and gave me about a foot of ground clearance.

Mine are bolted securely to the hangers. I would imagine a flexible mount like you mentioned (chain links) would have made it easier...

fasttruck

The stock M817 mudflaps are something like 42" long. They fold in half and hook to the truck body below the tailgate so when the body is fully raised you don't dump the load on them. I assume the 900 series dumps are the same.

Augdog1964

The stock M817 mudflaps are something like 42" long. They fold in half and hook to the truck body below the tailgate so when the body is fully raised you don't dump the load on them. I assume the 900 series dumps are the same.

they are, thus why I"m looking. I want it to be military stock...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks