• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5ton parking brake

Status
Not open for further replies.

redneck20

I'm wondering if it's possible to install a normal air release pull out style parking brake into a 5 ton. For use instead of the driveline brake
If so how would you go about doing it?

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the roller toggle switch that the hand lever trips is effectively the same thing as the normal parking brake button. You should be able to replace it with the normal button and route it up onto the dash or whatever.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, the lever clamps the drive line with a cable and pads, then the little air valve engages the spring brakes on the truck.
The brake lever works just like a normal truck but it just has a drive line brake added to it.

I think you could add a pull button by routing the air lines from the little valve on the brake lever. But I am not sure why you would need to.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to test the spring brakes just pull up on the little valve lever on the brake lever, BUT BE SURE and not to be moving very fast!!!:whistle:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take this anyway you like but, this to me is a case where you (and anyone that has answered so far) should read the -10(BASIC operators manual) before driving, and posting a thread like this one.

In less than one minute, I found this in the TM in the controls section. The picture shows the parking brake lever as item #14.It is very clear.

14 MECHANICAL PARKING BRAKE CONTROL LEVER is pulled up to engage
parking brakes and down to disengage brakes. Knob on top of handle is turned
clockwise to increase parking brake tension and counterclockwise to decrease
parking brake tension. When parking brake lever is applied, it also trips a valve
to release air pressure from spring brakes. This engages spring brakes.

Plugugly

The TM doesn't cover what he wants to do, if someone has done it, and how they accomplished doing it if it has been done. It also doesn't cover any thoughtful input from knowledgeable and helpful members such as "If you're doing this to get rid of the buzzer, it will/won't work because blah blah bah." Insert people learning something for blah blah blah.

redneck20

What is the point of the site if the answer to every question is in the Tm? Personally I get kinda lost in the manuals, and I know what would take me hours to find there someone could post the answer in 3 seconds.

I was under the assumption that it did not release the air, as on my 923 I never heard the dump and could drive with my parking brake handle up.

My civi trucks don't have a spring brake switch. So it's different set up than Im used to

As long as it's supposed to dump the air then I'm good In the aspect

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once again, reading comprehension comes into play here.

Re-read the OP's first post and post #3.

The system does exactly what he wants, he just does not know it(and neither did you guys offering help).

What he needed to know IS in the TM as I showed.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the point of the site if the answer to every question is in the Tm?
The point of this site is NOT, to explain(repost) the TMs.

We have a way we manage this site for **** good reasons and when we tell you how to use it that is how it will be used or you will not use it.

Is that simple enough to understand.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Tm does not explain why or why not to do this mod.
Only people can.
Only people can read the TMs. Had it been read, the OP would not have asked to make a modification that is unneed(it already does what he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.