• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5tons

Kalashnikov

I originally bought deuce thinking i couldn't afford a 5 ton but ended up selling it a few months later for an M818 with a shortened deuce bed. I like the 5 ton a lot better. I don't know what everyone else is talking about but just the power steering makes it 10x better offroad. The 818 is already shorter than a deuce and that helps too. They are the same width so no change there. And I thought just the opposite, the deuce is a pig compared to the m809s. My Cummins would wind up pretty quick when it was running decent and get to 50 quickly. The top speed is a little slower but that what 16r20s are for! The 5 ton has quite a bit of ground clearance over the deuce especially when you put on the 16r20s. I don't recall what a deuce on 395s has though. And if you're ahuling, the 5 tons hold a lot more than the deuce. Although being so heavy is definitely a drawback for offroad. I would make sure you either have another truck standing by or a winch. The Cummins will handle 100% WMO as well.

Sevin7

I don't know what it is about the deuce but I thought the same thing. I hadn't driven mine on the road since I got my M818 until one day I did and I was shocked at the differences. The M35 shifts a lot easier/smoother than the M818, I think the throws are even shorter. My deuce downshifts way easier than the 5 ton too. I agree that the deuce seems peppier maybe it's because it is higher revving but has the same number of gears. I also agree that the deuce would probably make a better daily driver than the 5 ton. Ideally I'd like to keep both but I don't see my wife letting that happen so sadly the deuce will get sold at some point.

Jared

I had an M35 and liked it a lot. Maybe partly because it was my first military truck after wanting one for quite a while. Actually had 2 -- first a "D" then the "C" whistler. Really liked the sound the whistler made. Then took the plunge into 5 tons with an XM813 and really like this one. May go back some day and get another M35 but would probably add something else first. The power steering is nice although I didn't really mind the standard steering. I guess it's the bigness that I like best. Mine has Marine ISO bed although I don't think it was a USMC truck with lockers -- just the different bed. Came with Goodyear 14.00R20 super singles so it sits a little higher. You might search through YouTube for some videos before you buy. I liked a couple that I saw by DMA251 and those probably helped put me over the edge.

emr

The 923 is a non winch drop side standard wheel base... :) The 939 series has air brakes and an auto trans and hydrolic winch different than an 809 series, and this is all in a million gazzillion threads for sure, i think from post there was no attemp to look it up just sayin ... :).. actually if u look up stuff first u can have better answers that take u down the path much further and u will understand alot more also, good luck i have had both Both are awesome,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks