• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.0 ford engine as a possible swap?

jake1086

Well I may have found a relatively cheap 6.0 ford out of an F-550 I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and try and fit it in the duece maybe later next year anyone have any ideas about exactly how stupid this idea may be?

its a 2 wheel drive transmission, it doesnt have the turbo, ficm, or injectors.

when it's sitting on the ground will be an excellent time to do head studs, higher cc injectors and a nice turbo... I think I could have on **** of a hot rod on my hands after that large upgrade.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So replace one head gasket failure prone engine for another head gasket failure prone engine? Sounds like a plan. :razz:

jake1086

haha Thanks boys, I own a 6.0, a 6.4 and a new 6.7 I know the faults of each you can find me on powerstrokenation.com also :)

I will be buying the engine OUT of the current truck and it will be getting the necessary upgrades (headstuds, egr delete egr cooler delete) and they will be done ... easily :) for a change. haha

So... I THINK it will fit .... I would hope, what am I going to have to change (rig up the air comp) new motor mounts, and transmission cross member...

Got any other problems I'll run into?

panzerwillie

i like 6.0 work on them all the time and always program the ECM for more power if you got a IDS and spare IPR you should be good 04.5 and up have the better HIGH PRESSURE PUMPS IN THEM AND ARE MORE RELIABLE good luck

197thhhc

Go for it. Many engine and trans combos will fit in front of the divorced transfer case. I think trying different engines is a great idea. Its your money and time that makes it your choice. Thats why its called hot rodding and modification. I like the multifuel because of the ability to burn pure WMO. Not because its a torque beast or super reliable. I haven't seen the Ford engine in a deuce and am looking forward to you doing and photgraphing the install.

Ford Mechanic

what the **** is an ids and ipr??
IDS our diagnostic software systems

IPR injector pressure regulator

Really a 6.0l in a M35?rofl
Dude head studs, egr deletes, and coolers are just scrachting the surface on what's wrong with these things. I have worked in the next bay to guys that turn 40-50 hrs a week in WARRENTY time on these things! They are HORRIBLE! Cokeing or rusting turbo's, internal oil leaks, have you see what happens when the oil cooler fails?$$$$$$ FICM issues, external oil leaks, sensor problems, the list goes on and on. And you need more than just the engine to make it run, you also have the PCM and the FICM that are engine running critical. Not to mention the fact the truck will need to be switched from 24 volt to 12 volt.

The 4x2 trans would be the thing to get with it though due to it's not got the 4x4 extention housing, and the 4x2 has a driveshaft flange already on it, easy to get a custom shaft to keep the divorced transfer.

But all for this is still forgetting a important point also. These trucks were designed around less than 150 horses I think? You put that much power down and it will start breaking things left and right on the truck. Better count all new shafts and a new upgraded transfer case. What will this engine accomplish? You'll get to 55 faster, because it's still a saftey concern running it any faster than what 60 or so?

They say action speak louder than words.....
I work on Fords every day, I just bought a 2007 DODGE RAM 2500.......
I will not get Diesil certified as long as I work at a Ford dealer.

Just my 2cents

F18hornetM

IDS our diagnostic software systems

IPR injector pressure regulator

Really a 6.0l in a M35?rofl
Dude head studs, egr deletes, and coolers are just scrachting the surface on what's wrong with these things. I have worked in the next bay to guys that turn 40-50 hrs a week in WARRENTY time on these things! They are HORRIBLE! Cokeing or rusting turbo's, internal oil leaks, have you see what happens when the oil cooler fails?$$$$$$ FICM issues, external oil leaks, sensor problems, the list goes on and on. And you need more than just the engine to make it run, you also have the PCM and the FICM that are engine running critical. Not to mention the fact the truck will need to be switched from 24 volt to 12 volt.

The 4x2 trans would be the thing to get with it though due to it's not got the 4x4 extention housing, and the 4x2 has a driveshaft flange already on it, easy to get a custom shaft to keep the divorced transfer.

But all for this is still forgetting a important point also. These trucks were designed around less than 150 horses I think? You put that much power down and it will start breaking things left and right on the truck. Better count all new shafts and a new upgraded transfer case. What will this engine accomplish? You'll get to 55 faster, because it's still a saftey concern running it any faster than what 60 or so?

They say action speak louder than words.....
I work on Fords every day, I just bought a 2007 DODGE RAM 2500.......
I will not get Diesil certified as long as I work at a Ford dealer.

Just my 2cents

Very well put. Where I work we have a pretty large fleet. About 2000 vehicles with several hundred F550's. Of all the engines in them, 7.3, 6.0, 6.4, 6.7..the 6.0 was/is the worst for maintenance.
But its your truck and still cool if you put something different in it, if your into that kind of stuff.
I also wondered if anybody thought about putting one of the older Ford 7.8 inline sixs in one. They were pretty reliable back when we had them. headgasket here and there but over all good runner. No electronics to throw money at.
I like it original but to each their own.

Last edited:

Bearpaws

Two months ago finished my 05 superduty. Every possible upgrade . The list is too long for me to type! Over $5 K. Did the work Myself! Very expensive engine to fix. What about picking up a retired Bluebird school bus that has the Cummins 5.9 with the aftercooler on it? Use the engine and scrap the rest. I know you will like the low end torque of the Cummins in your MV. You can run black diesel it all you want and there is no electronics to fail. Just a thought.

Ford Mechanic

@ F18hornetM Thanks, the 7.8 is a little before my time......

A older 5.9l Cummings would be a very good option, lots of aftermarket support and plentiful.

jrobinson5093

I say go for it. A few mods a you will be ok I would think I actually work on the ford diesels. Delete the egr, egr cooler, and talk to the company bullet proof diesel and get a external oil cooler and a good fuel filter kit like a fass or air dog. I would see no need for bigger injectors. A stock 6.0 will make plenty of power, but if you want more a simple reprogram will give you more than a deuce can handle.

hemichallenger

haha Thanks boys, I own a 6.0, a 6.4 and a n6.7ew I know the faults of each you can find me on powerstrokenation.com also :)

I will be buying the engine OUT of the current truck and it will be getting the necessary upgrades (headstuds, egr delete egr cooler delete) and they will be done ... easily :) for a change. haha

So... I THINK it will fit .... I would hope, what am I going to have to change (rig up the air comp) new motor mounts, and transmission cross member...

Got any other problems I'll run into?

WOWaua

rickf

You are taking an electronically controlled engine that is really tied into the truck it is in and trying to put it in something that never, ever saw a computer. As was already mentioned, there are a bunch of sensors you will need to address. Go with the old mechanical 7.3 ford or a 12 valve Cummins. All you need to run them is fuel to the engine and power to spin the starter. NO computers.

Rick