• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2-6.5 Block

TXFirefighter

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought an M1008 with intensions of putting the 6.2 in my M715.
Being the OCD type, I pulled the heads, checked the bore, flipped it over and pulled the pan and checked the rod and main bearings. All looking good so far so I started looking for a rebuild kit to freshen things up before planting it in the 715. I guess I had just a little too much brake clean on hand so I stated washing the lower end off, some. I ended up finding 3 of the 5 main bearing webs had cracks just outside the outter main bearing bolt hole. Crap!!
I then located a 6.5 turbo engine and toted it home like a new christmas gift! this was a turbo engine with the serpentine belt system! The OCD thing kicked in again and my son and I pulled the pan on this engine. Double Crap! I found 5 cracks in it's main journals.
One of the guys on the Zone told me if I hadn't pulled the pan the engine would have probably run for years with no issues. So, I'm wondering, if I added main bearing gurddles to the main caps, do you think the engine could still be used?
The odometer on the 6.2 was showing 56K and the 6.5 came out of a truck with 200K miles. I'm just wondering if ALL of them crack and then live until some joker like me takes them apart and looks?

Comments welcomed but if your just going to tell me these engines are a load and replace it with something else, your not helping.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks