• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 crank rotation

Gunfreak25

Looking at the FRONT of the truck, does your 6.2 rotate clockwise or counter clockwise. Again, this is looking at the FRONT/GRILL of the truck.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I heard in Australia they turn the opposite direction.
And the toilets swirl the wrong way :p

Driptroit and Cummins made LH rotations a looonnnng time ago. Mainly used for marine applications.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
6.2s were used in marine applications as well, wouldn't doubt if there were CCW 6.2s.

Matt65

6.2s were used in marine applications as well, wouldn't doubt if there were CCW 6.2s.
Exactly, I have seen twin marine engines where they turned opposite one another.

Back to the OP. Out of curiosity, why do you ask? Which way does yours spin?

spicergear

Don't forget so it doesn't walk the back of the boat to the side if the're both spinning same direction. You can get a slight 'crab' from it. Also, on Chevrolet's V8's, only the crank turns backwards. They gear drive the cam so that the valvetrain AND OIL PUMP and distributor still turn the conventional direction. Ha, ha...also don't put a reverse rotation starter on a standard rotation engine or you'll be chasing your tail for a while. That was a funny one I walked in on!

Hasdrubal

"only the crank turns backwards. They gear drive the cam so that the valvetrain AND OIL PUMP and distributor still turn the conventional direction."

This doesn't sound logical. If the cam rotation is reversed to the crank, it would never run, just crash all the valves into the pistons. You might want to review some basic engine principles there.

Gunfreak25

Exactly, I have seen twin marine engines where they turned opposite one another.

Back to the OP. Out of curiosity, why do you ask? Which way does yours spin?
I had heard all this talk about clockwise this, counterclockwise that, reverse rotation water pumps, V belt rotation, serpentine rotation, etc. Nobody was saying which view they were looking at the motor from though. It finally dawned on me last night that the 6.2 does indeed have standard (clockwise) rotation as to 99% of GM style V8's (except as noted above, for marine use). As for the water pumps, they are reverse on the serpentine setups because the belt rides underneath the water pump pulley. Never thought about that until last night. :lol:

Just some initial confusion is all. Glad you guys cleared it up for me. :beer:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
"only the crank turns backwards. They gear drive the cam so that the valvetrain AND OIL PUMP and distributor still turn the conventional direction."

This doesn't sound logical. If the cam rotation is reversed to the crank, it would never run, just crash all the valves into the pistons. You might want to review some basic engine principles there.
If things are timed right, I do not see why this would not work

Gunfreak25

Would anyone have close up pictures of the military 6.2 crates? Specifically the front mounts that secure the motor. I'll be fabbing up my motor mounts to look just like them. Better yet, if I could find a crate to steal the mounts from, they would fit my frame with little work.

superburban

Would anyone have close up pictures of the military 6.2 crates? Specifically the front mounts that secure the motor. I'll be fabbing up my motor mounts to look just like them. Better yet, if I could find a crate to steal the mounts from, they would fit my frame with little work.
I've got a trailer full of engine cans with 6.2's in em. I've got one that's empty. I'll snap some pics of the mounts tonight after work.

One thing, though. The whole "cradle" in these cans is rubber isolated, so coppying them directly wouldn't work for you unless you dont want rubber engine mounts. (It'll be a lot clearer when I get the pics up.)

*EDIT*
I see you aleady have the rubber mount issue sorted out in your other thread:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/74358-6-2-hmmwv-my-gmc-2.html
I've got an empty can right now for sale, but I'd be open to parting it out, if you want the mounts. PM me if you're serious.

Last edited:

G-Force

This is due to in a reverse rotation engine the cam is ground so when the cam rotates backwards the sequence of valves is correct so you have intake and then exhaust valves opening at the correct time. In other words, there is a left hand and a right hand rotation cam. The distributors rotate the same direction due to the cam gear either being cast so it picks up the distributor gear on the forward or the rearward side of the distributor gear. The oil pumps spin in the same direction. The firing orders are reversed. Standard would be 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Reverse would be 1-2-7-5-6-3-4-8. the cranks are the same.

Gunfreak25

I think the front mounts off a military can will work with very little cutting/welding. It sure would save me some time. I take all the help I can get when it's 116 outside. :lol:

PM SENT.

spicergear

This is due to in a reverse rotation engine the cam is ground so when the cam rotates backwards the sequence of valves is correct so you have intake and then exhaust valves opening at the correct time. In other words, there is a left hand and a right hand rotation cam. The distributors rotate the same direction due to the cam gear either being cast so it picks up the distributor gear on the forward or the rearward side of the distributor gear. The oil pumps spin in the same direction. The firing orders are reversed. Standard would be 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Reverse would be 1-2-7-5-6-3-4-8. the cranks are the same.
The Big Block Chevrolet marine engines I've worked on were a little different than what you described. In typical AUTOMOTIVE use, you have the small timing sprocket on the crank and the larger sprocket on the cam. The timing chain has them BOTH turning the same direction and the cam turns at half speed. In the marine version, the crank ONLY turns in reverse due to a single small crank gear and directly engages a single cam gear so that the reversely rotating crank drives the cam in the correct, standard direction.

Hasdrubal- You may want to do a basic engine review of your own before making a post negatively commenting as you had; especially when you're wrong. I forgot to mention that I was not speculating on design principles...I have physical hands on experience rebuilding reverse rotation Big Block Chevrolet engines and was stating absolute fact about their reverse rotation design.

Last edited:

superburban

Gunfreak, I'm afraid that what I'm going to want for the mounts is going to be too high. I'm afraid to ask a price that would make parting out the can worthwhile for me.:oops: PM sent.

As promised, though, here are the pics:

Attachments

Gunfreak25

Actually I went outside and took some measurements. The 6.2 sits particularly low in this truck, the holes on the block for the mounts are only about an inch higher than my frame rails. So they would not work, and your asking price is about what I expected. Not bad, though. The crates are worth more than the motors they contain. :lol: No joke. I'll still be making some mounts that look similar, but they will be a lot shorter and will be angled down a lot more. I'll either put the mounts in the frame rails or make them so they still sit on top of the frame rail like traditional mounts do. Thanks anyway! :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks