• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 detroit - am i in deep kim chee ??? Valve problems...

dom1986ck30

So... I am about to get my new/rebuilt Injection Pump back on Monday. I thought over this waiting period of 9 days so far, that I would clean the motor and parts. Did a little painting and replaced old stuff. Gaskets and rubber stuff along with a little electrical clean-up. Super happy I did...

But... As I was cleaning and doing preventive maintenance, since I had the IP, Manifold, Injection Lines, Overflow Pipe and other parts out, I couldn't help myself. Why not paint the Valve Covers as well? So I proceeded to take them off and found some discouraging visuals. Please see attached... Notice the wear around the Valves. What is my scenario? Let me have it... Mahalo.
VALVES1.jpgVALVES6.jpgVALVES2.jpg

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I knew I heard that phrase a long long time ago..........
In 20th century U.S. slang, "kimchi" was occasionally used in the phrase "in deep kimchi" (particularly by veterans of the Korean War), a euphemism for "in deep trouble" and was used in a number of awkward situations.

Your parts are in Texas?
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?168557-6-2-engine-and-banks-turbo-for-sale

I await for others synopsis but where did all the metal go?
Was it like that when new?
How did it run before, anything in the drain oil?
Maybe just put it back together and use it.

Last edited:

someoldmoose

Agree with above. I see nothing wrong. The color difference on the pushrod just below the rocker is completely normal. IF that is what you are concerned about, don't be. Whatever you do, DO NOT file, grind, sand, or otherwise mess with the casting flash on the head. Button everything back up and go have fun. By the way, I have a Korean lady who still makes me Kim chee the old fashioned way. It's delicious.

General info : the engine is NOT a Detroit Diesel product, it is a GM Corporation 6.2 liter.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The plastic retainers(for the rockers) are known for falling apart at bad times. While you are in there, I'd replace them.

dom1986ck30

Super stoked to wake up to all your replies on this gorgeous Saturday morning here on Oahu...!!! I stayed up late last night downloading images of Rockers, Valves, and the questioned area of casting design. I truly thought it was missing some edges or something... But the images I came across looked darn close to what I have under the hood. Which, BTW someoldmoose, what tells you it is not a Detroit? What is the differences? Heads? Valves?

Well time to go paint those Valve covers and other parts and get ready for the newly rebuilt Injection Pump... The guy that is rebuilding it is really cool. He gave me all kinds of manuals for the 6.2L/6.5L. They are probably on here somewhere... Anyways, mahalo for all the positive news and compliments to a clean looking motor... gimpyrobb, I'll try to locate those plastics before I cover up. Mahalo... Time for some "Kim Chee"!!!

dom1986ck30

Aloha Again... I messaged gimpyrobb about the plastic Rocker clips. I was able to find some metal ones at Oreilly's Auto Parts. Oreilly's, NAPA, CARQUEST, all the same. Wondering if that is a bad idea. It being Oreilly's and the aftermarket subculture and all. The funny thing is, is that they looked like Freeze Plugs. Bad image. But the sizing was correct. Anyhow, if anybody knows how to locate them, LMK. I'll look deeper. Mahalo.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Now you all started all this about a 6.2 and in "deep kimchi"

Now with all the help you found
there are those that have great expectations.

Results with summarizations and the really good and best, best pictures
is appreciated .......................... and NOT that tap a long stuff either.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
For General Information the 379ci, 6.2 Diesel, is and was designed by Detroit Diesel.
As I own one, and the same 82 Silverado K30 6.2 since new, many truckers that have talked to have a firm appreciation of what the "small" Detroit has meant to all pickup diesels since. It is not a 12v71 for sure, but the 6.2 is a Steady Performer. I am not biased....

As the engine looks to be in good condition and with the valve covers off I also as said before I would take the opportunity to replace the retaining buttons on the rockers.

Last edited:

someoldmoose

cucvmule, I certainly mean NO disrespect to the 6.2 as I have owned a few and worked on many. It is a solid reliable workhorse that is nigh indestructible if cared for. Yes, when GM realized that "dieselfying" the 350 was a bad idea they had Detroit ( a GM division ) help them turn the stouter Big Block into a reliable diesel engine. The rest is history.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
None taken:-D Sometimes it just gets my ire up when someone tries to denigrate a fine piece of engineering. Now having a 1008 to care for, I have found a new affection for an "old" design. Perhaps I am just getting,,,,old. NO Offence taken someoldmoose :tank:

rustystud

Just like everyone else has already pointed out, that is just "casting flash" . When you go and rebuild an engine, one of the things you do is go and grind off and sand all the "casting flash" or "over casting". That way there is no obstruction to the oil flow and also no chance of a piece of cast iron falling off and causing havoc inside your engine. Don't worry about any pieces falling off now. After this long of time, any piece that would fall off has fallen off.

This is just an interesting side note. Sand can still be trapped inside a engine block for decades. I have personally seen two engines that had severe cooling problems develop after decades running with no problems. In both cases the engine overheated and then after fixing the problem the engine kept on overheating. What had happened was the sand used for the internal passages in the original casting process had become so hard it stayed inside the block. (They use "binders" on special sand to create these passages. After the block is cast, it is shaken and the sand then falls out the "Welch" plug holes. We call them "freeze plug holes" ) . Sometimes this sand doesn't come out, but in an overheat condition the sand can loosen up and fall to the bottom of the block or radiator. This is what had happened on the two engines I was talking about.
OK, I know I'm being an "Old man talking here" so enough said.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks