• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 Fan Clutch Hydraulic connection

grantcourtney

I recently purchased a civi version of the 1009 and am rebuilding it. Found a crated 6.2 military takeout and am going to swap the motors. on the military takeout I found a hydraulic fan clutch and want to know where to connect it. it had red fluid in it so is it connected to transmission, power steering ???? where does the connection come from and is it dead ended into the clutch?

Last edited by a moderator:

richingalveston

if it is hydraulic it would run of the power steering pump. have never seen a hydraulic clutch for the radiator fan. I could be a hydraulic clutch for a remote mounted trans cooler that runs off of the fluid going to the cooler. I have never seen one of these on a 6.2 or any auto. just on some machinery.
the trans and power steering pump use the same fluid.

Post some pics of what you have and you will get more responses

richingalveston

good info, i am not familiar with hummers, I guess the problem with using this is how would you mount it and is there enough room between the block and radiator for this.

I am guessing it did not mount to the engine in a hummer.

southdave

rich
the hmmwv radiator was mounted, kind of over the engine, look at pic of one, the vents in the hood is where the rad. is mounted.
One other thing.. all the crap ie pullys mount water pump off the CUCV has to be swap out to the Hmmvw motor. do a search and there is alot of good info about it..

BLK HMMWV

Yes the HMMWV 's radiator is mounted on a slant. the back side (engine side) is surrounded by a very large shroud. The fan mounts the the clutch on the front of the engine like most fans . It protrudes into the large cavity formed by the shroud. When the engine temp reaches around 210 the fan comes on.
The HMMWV has a multi layered cooling stack if you will. Radiator first, then a split trans cooler and oil cooler same surface area as the radiator, Then a small power steering cooler on top of that but it is only 2 rows.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remove the clutch, install CUCV pulleys.

Download the TM 9-2815-237-34 Tech Manual for instructions on how to remove the clutch. Section 2-15(a)

It may be necessary to apply compressed air to fan drive fitting. This disengages fan drive and allows access to socket head capscrews.

1. Position pry bar between water pump pulley (3) and crankshaft pulley (6) and apply pressure.

2. Using a 5/16-in. hex-head driver, remove four socket-head screws (1) and fan drive (2) from water
pump pulley (3).
3. Using a 6-mm hex-head driver, remove four socket-head screws (5) and water pump pulley (3)
from water pump (4).

Skinny

Don't forget about the voltage differences on the GP's and IP solenoid.

I don't know what the HMMWV crank pulley looks like but additional belts are always good for running an additional air compressor or other accessory.

southdave

Don't forget about the voltage differences on the GP's and IP solenoid.

I don't know what the HMMWV crank pulley looks like but additional belts are always good for running an additional air compressor or other accessory.
HMMVW belts are alot smaller than the CUCV about 1/2 if you need some I have about 600 of them in the barn let me know lol..

grantcourtney

Thanks!

I will give it a try tomorrow morning. so basically the injection pump on my truck was just rebuilt and a new starter, alternator and water separator fuel filter was put on it by last owner. i have ordered a new water pump, power steering pump and am going to upgrade to a Walbro electric lift pump. i am hoping that i will have a dependable ride and not have to spend too much time under the hood after I swap motors. I will try to figure out how to post pictures as i go along.