• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 fuel pump...?

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am redoing a 1028 with the standard 6.2. I was surprised to find there was no fuel pump on the tank, in the tank or on the rail....I am a mechanically inclined kinda guy but this makes no sense to me.I think the hard start problems I read allot of here in the forums are from a fuel line back drain. Is there someone out there in SS land who installed an electric fuel pump for the 6.2...? If so please post pictures of the install and what it was wired to.

Thanks in advance for the Intel.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel pump is mechanical and is on the right hand side of engine. Just like the old Gasser engines.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats cool if I could find it. I followed the fuel line from the tank to the filter housing base. I guess I have glaucoma working in overdrive. I will look again.

On my old 1009 (now Papabears 1009), I installed it next to the frame rail right next to the motor and wired it to the ignition circuit so it would only run when the key was turned to the on position. I used a cheapo electric pump from advance and it hasnt failed me yet in over 14 months. Buy Mr. Gasket Electric Fuel Pump Diesel 12D at Advance Auto Parts Those pumps have crappy reviews online, but in my experience, it has been great. I ran new lines parallel to the stock lines which are plugged-if my pump fails me, I can just unplug the stock lines and put em on my fuel filter and keep rolling.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rustsleeps

Just a thought (maybe a bad one): I like the simple -on with ignition-, but what about a seperate switch for the fuel pump. It would complicate things a bit, but unless someone knew the details of operation, maybe a good theft reduction system?

GPrez

Just a thought (maybe a bad one): I like the simple -on with ignition-, but what about a seperate switch for the fuel pump. It would complicate things a bit, but unless someone knew the details of operation, maybe a good theft reduction system?
Good idea unless you forget to turn it off.

I have been using the 12D Mr Gasket pump as well for 2-years now with no issues.

Rustsleeps

GPrez, how about a double throw setup. On and off with ignition, and a seperate switch to shut off power to fuel pump? The switch is left "on" for normal use. Easy fuel stop in the "off" position.

Brent.Cain

I installed a electric fuel pump on my m1031 but I used a delphi pump on my truck with a anti flow back and a fuel regulator with pressure gauge truck runs fun now an I just hooked it into the fuse box to a 12volt source that comes on and stays on with the key

cucv1833

I had the Mr Gasket 12D on my M1008 on frame rail. It was on a toggle switch. I used it for back-up and filter changes cause I had already installed a new Mech. pump.

The mech. pump works just fine. But I may install the electrical pump on my M1009 as back-up again being its not on my M1008 anymore.

lavarok

An AIRTEX Part # E3309 will work perfect for this application. Might need some fittings to add barbs to the pump, but this pump is spec'ed for a P30 with a 6.5L diesel.
An Airtex E3158 will also work and is spec'ed for an '88 P30 Van with a 6.2L engine.

Also, there should be a spot where two hard lines are joined by rubber on the frame rail under the cab. This is a perfect spot for the pump without cutting (or maybe very little from one side) any hard line.

EDIT: Airtex E8153 is a kit and pump that should have everything you need, all fittings included.

Attachments

Last edited: