• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 fuel return miseries

Paul5388

I have been having ongoing problems with the Chinese replacement fuel return lines on my Chevrolet 6.2. It seems that they will crack and spew fuel in about one year, so after three sets, Dorman #904-101, I think I've finally found the solution.

Chevrolet in, these parts, doesn't carry the return line(s), so the next best option was the internet. Well, that was a waste of time looking for 1/8" fuel line, so I went to Oregon Outdoor Equipment Parts and bought some chainsaw/string trimmer fuel line, #07-265. The OD is only 3/16", so the original clamps won't work, but the ID is 1/8" with a wall thickness of 1/32". It's over $1/foot, but that's still cheaper than a yearly Dorman set for $14.99.

Out of a 12.5' roll, I still have about 7' after installing a complete set. The "tygon" tubing acts sorta like "Chinese fingers" that gets tighter with pressure. After 100+ miles I don't have any leakage, which is important when fuel is $3.50+/gallon!

usmcpatriot

Yeah, had the same problem, got my chinese tubes from napa. As per the TMs, they should be changed during every tune-up. They are tedious to change, with those small clamps, but can be bone...Good Luck

diesel583

I gave up on everything Dorman. I use Volkswagon Rabbit return line, braided no clamps needed. Same basic injector been running it for 3 years with no trouble

Ronbo

Good to know info and Yet another good reason to just put a standard 350 gas.. Less parts, more power, more reliable IMO.

Ronbo

Yea I'm nutz :) Not to change the thread .. But I hate the 6.2.Just a personal opinion. Its full of parts that always seem to break, expensive parts. Low RPM engine for the gear ration ( cant cruise down the interstate. Cold natured. Just always seems to have issues. Yet compared to a simple Carbed 350 with HEI .The 6.2 is weak .
350 .030 over , comp cam is roughly 400hp & 350 torque. with an rpm range of ? 5-6k which seems to fit the gear ratio better. Just my opinion.. yet I also am not a diesel mechanic , so the gas is easier to work on to me..
Now a question could copper lines not work for fuel?

Paul5388

Sorry I haven't gotten back, but I never got notification of any replies.

My #1 son, the only one I have, is usually conscripted into performing this type of task, so I don't know exactly what was done other than all of the hoses were replaced and they haven't given any signs of trouble.

I don't remember any braided VW fuel line that's 1/8" ID, unless it was vacuum line. The norm was 6mm and 8mm ID. The Rabbit diesel was pretty new when I worked on VWs, so those sizes may have changed. I'll look tomorrow, since I have an early Jetta diesel.