• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 GMC Engine swap

mudguppy

... But the dodge transmission is proven and tested behind the Cummins motor. ...
that's a myth. the 47rh/e are 'questionable' behind a stock 6bta in a pickup. increase the power output and/or GVW and you are asking for it to fail.

the 47rh/e is 'proven' behind the 6bta after it has been built. this can range from $3k - $7k, depending on power and application. (and those prices are the norm for any 'built' tranny)

however, a good aftermarket torque converter and aftermarket valve body can greatly increase transmission life and performance under upgraged power outputs and/or higher GVW - and they don't cost near what a built tranny would cost (< $1k-ish)

the 5.9/47rh would be a real good combo - i just didn't want you to expect the 'stock' trans to last and be sorely disappointed. [fyi - 47r'h' vs 'e': 'h'=hydraulic controled, 'e'=electronic controled]

nattieleather

It just amazes me when it comes to transmissions. Go over to 4BT Swaps and those guys praise the 47rh behind both the 4bt and 6bt and poo-poo the 700r4 and any varriant like 4L60....I'm getting to the point where if someone asks I say just put in what you like and forget about it because someone will have a million reasons why it wont work, but nobody will be able to tell you it will... :)

Varyag

I really wouldn't put the 1114 combo in a heavy truck. We broke every one of them we had in Iraq. I think they were 700s behind 6.5 turbos.

In their defence, we drove them like ****, had to.

Section8

I am in the process of doing a 6bt swap since my 302 was a giant paper weight. Siezed.
Sound proffing the cab is the solution to the noise and the only time I have seen smoke rolling out of any thing with a 6bt or 4bt in it is when the power has been increased by upping the fuel intake.
My biggest problem is I have a Getrag 360 standard with hard mate 4x4. I do not want this set up. I want to run an automatic so I don't have to **** around and make a clutch pedal assembly.
I would love to put an automatic behind my 6bt but haven't got a clue at to which tranny would match the bellhousing pattern of the Getrag. No I don't want to run the set up I have!! Means I have to move the stock transfer case back by almost a foot for links and shaft then have interference of front drive shaft (propellar) from the stock t case and the Getrag t case.
No I don't want to lose the stock t case as I don't want to have to flip the front diff for proper rotation. Means shortening one drive shaft and then the other isn't long enough for proper engagement, poor spline mesh.
Soooo...
What ****ing automatic tranny am I looking for?? I haven't got big bucks to swap flexplates and the like. Most compatable. Bolt and go!

RonsHotRodShop

I am looking to do the opposite use a Military 302 from a Korean war era and attach to a 545 Allison the bell housing from a 366/Allison looks similar but there is a BBC to Allison adapter housing about 3" deep can I use the flywheel from the 366 and will the Allison 545 bolt directly to the 302 or will I need an adapter housing as well ???

USMC 00-08

I am looking to do the opposite use a Military 302 from a Korean war era and attach to a 545 Allison the bell housing from a 366/Allison looks similar but there is a BBC to Allison adapter housing about 3" deep can I use the flywheel from the 366 and will the Allison 545 bolt directly to the 302 or will I need an adapter housing as well ???
I don't know the answer to this but would like to do the same thing if it works. Keep us posted on what you do.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can only offer this information: The military 302 has the bellhousing specific for the Hydramatic transmission, and that bellhousing is special for that transmission and is not in any way similar to a modern Chevy bellhousing or anything else for that matter. When you remove the military 302 bellhousing, you are left with the rectangular flat back of the block, with the 6 hole flywheel flange pointing out. The 302 is a great power plant, will make a super rod. Try to find a civilian 270/302 oil pan, the military double deep pan is a bit of a pain.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks