• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 hard start oh08

mponseigo

6.2 hard start oh09

I have been having problems with starting first thing in the am. It would start and run for about 10 sec. then die :x! Thrn would have to crank for 45 sec. then would run and start all day every time i turned the key as soon as i turned the key it would start right now. after starting first thing I would have to drive for 3 miles before it would shift to 2nd gear??? The rest of that day it would shift perfect no problems? I had 19" vacuum at idle. In the process of troubleshooting she devloped a massive oil leak coming from up by the passenger side head at firewall I could not see with a mirror, So i pulled thr intake manifold off and started her up and oil was puking out of the Vacuum modulater $139.00 later, I installed next morning she started right away :p! happy
No oil leak :p happy happy! Then I drove her and she shifted through the gears perfect! happy! happy! happy! It has been a week driving every day shifting perfect starting perfect! Now I have a second 1986 m1009 with a hard starting issue mabey it is the vacuum pump again??? I will try soon! :p

Last edited:

85CUCVtom

I have been having problems with starting first thing in the am. It would start and run for about 10 sec. then die :x! Thrn would have to crank for 45 sec. then would run and start all day every time i turned the key as soon as i turned the key.
This part sounds like your getting air in your fuel and/or losing prime. Mine was doing the exact same thing a while back. Check your fuel filter base, fuel hoses and clamps (especially the one going into the IP in the engine valley), the return hoses and the return check valve coming out of the IP. Remove the check valve, the glass ball inside should be clear and free of debris.

That's just my $0.02. I have no idea how that starting issue could be related to the vacuum modulator. Maybe someone else can chime in.

mponseigo

Tom, I am new to CUCV sceen, i also changed the rubber fuel lines i guess you are correct loseing prime air in the lines.I have read about this check valve but have not been able to find it does somone have a photo of this valve?? thank for your $0.02

dependable

Leaky sensor in fuel filter mount would be a prime suspect from what you describe as first problem. Oil leak could be separate issue. On that you might want to check EGR valve.

Last edited: