• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 IP rebuild and with a few pictures

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More pictures

View attachment 411026
throttle cable

View attachment 411025
new IP with injection lines attached

View attachment 411027
if you look close under the radiator pipe, you will see where the IP attaches

View attachment 411028
this is an original intake filter cover that I had never seen before - just thought I would share it

Even though Gary did get the new IP installed, we ran out of day light and could not get it to run... this is an ongoing workday

firecontrol86

You should definitely post the "after" impressions on driving it. I've been contemplating getting mine rebuilt just because it's getting up there in age. Finding someone to rebuild mine might take some looking around, but it'd prob be worth it.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, unfortunately the 'rebuilt' IP we had was bad. So, we are having the IP we pulled out of the M1009 and having a Stanadyne shop rebuild that.

Once we get it back, it will go back in. I MUST ADMIT, I've learned SO MUCH by helping Gary. He's flat got this down cold.

Hopefully in the next week or so it will be up and running. I will post pix and ask eastTXhunter to post up his thoughts on it.

K9Vic

The pump was either no good or it was and sat too long and dried out to which made it no good.

When the original IP is rebuild form the M1009 I will install it and the truck will probably start right up, if it does not well there is something else really wrong. It is not difficult to change them out, it i is just a PITA to lean over everything. So this post may linger for 1-2 weeks depending on if I want to tackle this on Sunday next week if the IP is done. If not it will be in 2 weeks.

There are two Stanadyne repair shops with in a few miles of my home, so getting it rebuilt locally is not an issue.

I did replace all the return lines with 5/32 Tygon tubing, that is the best replacement as you do not need the clamps. Something I do when I replace an IP as you know all your lines are good.

Anyways, time for me to relax and crash for the night after some Fox TV shows.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have heard that having a pump rebuilt as a spare isn't a good idea. A local shop says the seals and diaphram dry out.

Barrman saw a night and day difference when he had his M1009 pump rebuilt.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have two other CUCV owners, who after they replaced/had rebuilt their IP, they also said the truck 'ran like new'...

seems like a good way to fix this trucks poor running issues... hopefully it will

scottladdy

Don't forget your injectors ...

I have two other CUCV owners, who after they replaced/had rebuilt their IP, they also said the truck 'ran like new'...

seems like a good way to fix this trucks poor running issues... hopefully it will
Count me in with them. Badger Diesel. Price is incredible in my opinion for what you get. He does charge core up front, but was very prompt in returning the core.

Don't forget your injectors as well. My understanding is that, especially for trucks that sat a long time and the fuel had a chance to degrade, the injectors are most likely scored.

When diesel sits for a long time, it breaks down and loses lubricity.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rebuilding isn't the issue. Calibrating it correctly is. That is why it's so expensive. ~$500 at a Stanadyne shop. You can find it cheaper shipping it out, but someone local may be better if service is needed.

Last edited:

K9Vic

Rebuilding isn't the issue. Calibrating it correctly is. That is why it's so expensive. ~$500 at a Stanadyne shop. You can find it cheaper shipping it out, but someone local may be better if service is needed.
Correct, there is a warranty with taking it to where it is being rebuilt. If there is a problem within a year they will take care of it and it is local, so no shipping and worry it will be lost or damaged in transit. The last one I had rebuilt was $475 from Metro Fuel, but right now we do not know what this one will cost until it is done. If it gets done by Friday, I may break down and put it in Sunday as it will really only take me about 2 hours. The hardest part is turning the engine to install the three crank pulley bolts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks