• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 L Diesel CUCV M1008 M1009 M1028 K30 K5 Glow Plugs

Lurchwolf

I think those are just Wellman 097. I had two fail on a 150 mile trip brand new. One broke due to a stuck injector(not the plug's fault) and one swell badly for no discernible reason. They all went in the trash. Just buy the AC Delco 60g. They don't heat as fast but are very robust.

M1008driver

The best thing you can do if you buy the 60g's is change the connectors at the same time. I used the insulated type and have had no problems like I read here on the forum. The existing connectors may be 25 years old and not make a good connection.

Attachments

bgfd2216

I have a 1984 M1009 Blazer I have just replaced the old glow plugs with new ones. Before I done this the WAIT light on the dash never came on had to use starting fluid to start the Blazer. Since replacing the glow plugs I still can not get the WAIT light to come on. Also I am unable to hear the glow plugs circle through. Any suggestions

M1008driver

Probably not, but maybe the wait light bulb is burned out. It is attached to the instrument panel cover and easy to change. I am sure you will be told to trouble shoot with the TM's. aua Of course you will or this thread cannot move forward. :D

You better read this if you are using ether to start.

Click click BOOM!

EDIT- I changed my plugs to 60g's and I hear nothing when they cycle except the battery indicator moving back to green...

Last edited:

SPCHowe

I have a 1984 M1009 Blazer I have just replaced the old glow plugs with new ones. Before I done this the WAIT light on the dash never came on had to use starting fluid to start the Blazer. Since replacing the glow plugs I still can not get the WAIT light to come on. Also I am unable to hear the glow plugs circle through. Any suggestions
Don't use starting fluid!!!

M1008driver

For proper forum etiquette you should start another topic on this as we are hijacking the original. If you change the GP wait light it is the one on the left of the two lights as you face the instrument cover. When you take off the cover they are attached at the top.

Start a new topic about your GP problems and you will probably get some good ideas. The first one will be did you troubleshoot using the TM's? Also do a search and pay attention to related topics at the bottom of the page. I hope you get running soon.

Last edited:

mistaken1

Today I checked to glow plugs with a voltage tester no volts also with a light tester nothing. What could be wrong???
Assuming stock wiring; bad resistor, bad fuse link, bad relay, bad temperature sensor, bad control card, bad fuse in the fuse block, bad fuse wires to the glow plugs.

Did you download the TM and follow the troubleshooting? It lists all of those things and more plus it tells you how to test each one.

Chief_919

The bets thing you can do to extend glow plug life is put your plugs on a manual switch. Use them when you start cold, they are not needed when the engine is warm.

That eliminates all the glow plug cycles from hot/warm starts. Fewer cycles=longer life.

mistaken1

My understanding is that based on the input from the temp sensor the glow plug controller only activates the glow plugs when needed, not every time the truck is started.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I pulled out a standard plug and a new one and the picture I have posted is real and true, I was shocked. I saw some smoke from the new one and figured it was manufacturing oil burning off. So i replaced them all and by golly the truck instantly fired right up, 2-3 seconds. The truck idled down as it should as well. I am happy.

Donrofl