• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 L tweaking ideas and info

cobra

These are some of the things that i have done to make my truck (M1010) a little more fuel efficent.

1. Believe it or not, using premium diesel works very well, depending on your setup, you could see almost a 1 - 1.5 mpg increment in your fuel economy.

2. Change the airfilter frequently, that works very very well, i have made a cold air intake for my truck. which increases the mpg by about .5 ,

3. Port Polishing your engine also increases the fuel economy as well as add more power.

By doing some of these things as well as maintaining the truck to the army's standards , i have been able to achieve about a 21mpg average at about 140 kmh.

If you know of anything else, please feel free to post it

cobra

by taking the excess of burrs and such out of your valves, intake and exhust headers, as well as cleaning them and poiishing them to a better shine.

Cold Air Intake

These are some of the things that i have done to make my truck (M1010) a little more fuel efficent.

1. Believe it or not, using premium diesel works very well, depending on your setup, you could see almost a 1 - 1.5 mpg increment in your fuel economy.

2. Change the airfilter frequently, that works very very well, i have made a cold air intake for my truck. which increases the mpg by about .5 ,

3. Port Polishing your engine also increases the fuel economy as well as add more power.

By doing some of these things as well as maintaining the truck to the army's standards , i have been able to achieve about a 21mpg average at about 140 kmh.

If you know of anything else, please feel free to post it
Do you have pictures of your cold air intake setup posted on a thread in here?

idM1028

Just thought of something :idea: Anybody ever run any of the water/methanol systems on their truck? Supposedly you can pick up a few MPG and when you go to refill the methanol tank you can use windshield washer fluid, which is like $1.50 a gallon at wally world. Supposedly the methanol or whatever you're running also burns in the engine and acts like fuel. Let's face it, $1.50/gallon for fuel is a lot cheaper than $4.00/gallon. Then again, I've crunched the numbers and it takes quite a while for one of these things to pay for itself with the MPG the manufacturers claim you're gonna be gaining.

Matt65

i have been able to achieve about a 21mpg average at about 140 kmh.
140 Kilometers an hour = 86.992 Miles Per hour. That's great mileage at that speed. Certainly unattainable for me - in the M1008.

Last edited:

Woodsman

how do you "Port Polish", could you elaborate...
wylie
Porting is where you match the intake runners to the heads so that the port dimensions are the same on each. Any small ledges or lips between the two create flow disturbances and can negatively impact air volume or flow patterns. This is a grinding operation. Most of the time where I have seen this done on racing engines a flow bench is used to establish the port sizes and needed geometry for the intake/head ports.

Polishing is done with very fine polishing wheels to smooth out the metal surfaces in the intake runners and head ports. The flatter and smoother the surface is, the less flow restriction there is.

These are some of the operations you can through when blueprinting an engine. Each part is weighed and the heaviest ones are slightly ground down in certain areas to get the weight down, thereby achieving a similar weight on each similar item. Pistons, rods, etc.

jdeoliveira74

i did the intake mod off a gasser and i saw a huge improvement. I also tried a double stacked air cleaner it was so loud in the cab i couldnt even hear my self think. I also did new exhaust hi flow mufflers and 2.5 pipes straight back. I have been averageing around 20-23 on the highway as long as i keep it under 70.

Woodsman

i did the intake mod off a gasser and i saw a huge improvement. I also tried a double stacked air cleaner it was so loud in the cab i couldnt even hear my self think. I also did new exhaust hi flow mufflers and 2.5 pipes straight back. I have been averageing around 20-23 on the highway as long as i keep it under 70.
I'm not surprised at this. I know when you port & polish the heads/intakes on small block chevy's they will scream all the way up through very high RPM's. The blueprinting really helps at these higher RPM's to keep the engine together. Then add some tuned headers and you're off to the races.