• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 lacks power

jason lott

I just bought an 86 m1008. I'm new to diesels and mvs. The truck has a small lift with 33s. The previous owner also swapped the tranny to a 700r4. The truck could use a little more power. Has any one out there tried the banks turbos or maybe the 6.5 with turbo is a worthy swap? Any help? I love this truck otherwise so it's worth the time and money.

Westech

CPL
dude.. its rated at 150 HP that a worn out 305 gas engine power. and with 33's and a OD trans with 308 gears..... come on. even with a turbo your only going to get 30-40 more HP MAX out of a 6.2. time to change the gears that will help out a ton.

SmokeyDod

I put a Banks on my M1028 after driving it for 2 yrs + and its hard to describe how much difference that the Banks made especially if you are pulling a load. When pulling my trailer with a kubota w/front loader and a 1100 lb Woods bush hog--There's one hill and before tubro I hit hill at 55-60 mph and come out at top at 30 mph. After -still doing 60 mph. You don't notice the immense diff until you're pulling a load. My truck has 150K miles + on it. I'm working on a new 6.5 that I'm going to put the Banks on when this engine goes. I am kinda thinking about running current engine w/o oil to speed transition process.

rue_69

dude.. its rated at 150 HP that a worn out 305 gas engine power. and with 33's and a OD trans with 308 gears..... come on. even with a turbo your only going to get 30-40 more HP MAX out of a 6.2. time to change the gears that will help out a ton.
He indicated he had a 1008, which should have 4:56 gears as opposed to the 1009's 3:08 gears. The bottom line is that the 6.2 just isn't a very strong motor, but a turbo could help the situation. The banks kits are really nice from what I hear, but pricey. You may be able to score a 6.5 in a scrap yard and do the conversion fairly cheap. ($300-$600)

91W350

Have you done the simple, like change the fuel filter. The 6.2 is no powerhouse, but if it is not getting fuel, it will be even worse. It should pull 33" tires with little difficulty though. If you are looking for big block acceleration, that is not there. It should pull the truck right up to 55 with little trouble. 65 is pushing the engine past its operating range. Some guys try to run them 65 to 80 and they are way out of gas by then. Glen

3dubs

Try fuel additives to clean carbon gunk that rubs power. My engine had no power and blow-by so I had to rebuild it. I just replaced the cylinder rings and cleaned it up. Now I have enough power to make me happy. But breaking the engine down I saw how dirty it is inside. I like Lucas fuel additive. I also use the lucas oil treatment. The carbon build up robs power by preventing the valves from sealing. The carbon also causes the rings not wear out prematurely. When you engine warms up if your oil fill tube looks like chiminey then it is too late. Then you have to replace the rings. That means pulling the engine and rebuilding the engine. To avoid that use fuel additives to keep the engine clean. Do not forget just about every state only sell Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel (ULSD) by removing the sulfer the injection pump and injectors do not get the lubrication they need and will wear out quickly without lubrication. If you have been driving with ULSD and not adding either sulfer or a store bought lubrication then the injectors may need to be rebuilt or replaced.

I was going to add a turbo for power. Now I do not need it. I may add a turbo but that will only be to go elk hunting and I want power at higher altitudes.

It is all about keeping the engine clean inside!!!

4bogginchevys

One way to clean the motor up is to do like I did, I had a bunch of almost empty bottles of powerservice and other brands of cleaning products, poured them all in with 20.00 at the pump and went and worked the **** out of the motor. A couple of us went out cutting firewood, I volunteered to "tow" the 3' in diameter logs up out of the gully's where we found them. When the trucks were loaded and full of rounds thier was one more log about 55' long/3' diameter, I chained up to it and towed it back about 3/4 of a mile to a friends house. All in all, the wood on my truck and in tow ended up stacked as 4 cords of semi-green wood, the total of weight probably double what the truck weighs if not more. 4 LO with atleast 3000#'s in truck, and atleast 8000 in tow.......she got hot, real hot, I smelled the last 15 years of gunk burning out of the motor, and I didn't overheat it either. She runs the best she ever has, and starts easier too....:driver:

Edit: the load was so heavy it bent the stinger at the 2 5/16 ball I use to tow car trailers...I think I need a new one

Attachments

Last edited:

Keith_J

Do the Banks turbo kits change the IP's injected quantity? Because the 6.2, like most other diesels, is running lean most of the time anyway. Power in a diesel is from fuel, not manifold pressure. Sure, if you have the IQ turned way up to where the engine is blowing black smoke, a turbo will help burn this fuel.